Stroke of Good Luck

As we walked forward, the dust kicked up into small clouds behind us. The day was still early. Behind us, there were a group of people. It was unclear if they were ruffians or good folk. I dared not let my guard down. I needed to find a private place to speak with Midas. As an angel, Midas could look into the heart of other people. She could see when someone had good intentions or evil thoughts.

Due to the people behind us, I could tell Jonas, our group leader was also keen on not stopping. He didn't want to give those people behind us an opportunity. No matter how we slowly sped up, we couldn't break away from them. It seemed, these people may have been following us. Had they seen the silver coins the boy had given me.

I knew we had endangered our entire group due to that one stunt. I didn't know what to do. Since I would have to travel with these people for an unknown amount of time, I wished to start out on good standing with them. If a minor thing such as this occurred early on in the journey, it might very well lead to a poor relationship later on with the other members of the group. I didn't want that to happen.

As we walked, I knew the little boy was struggling to keep up. There was no way for us to continue at our pace for much longer. I could also see Enola was beginning to drag her feet as she moved.

If it came to it, I may just drop my pack and then carry the boy on my back. Our lives are much more important than losing the tent and food items. The money was on me, so I had no worries about it. Also, having money was just an excuse to show my fellow travelers I had traveling funds. It would also be an excuse for how I can buy food, which would all be taken out from the tradeshop.

Not too far ahead, we saw a group of men in front of us. They had severalhorses pulling wagons carrying several chests and a horse drawn carriage. They stopped and began to rest. I could see a few of them run around to gather food. Soon they began to distribute food to the other people in their group.

Among them was a rather big man. He sat in the horse drawn carriage and I only caught a glimpse of him when he opened the carriage door to receive his food.

Seeing this, Jonas told us to also rest. The people behind us also sat and rested. We watched as they took out their dry rations.

I sat down with the boy. Reaching into my pack, I pulled out a roll of soft bread and water for him. I did the same for myself. We ate our food quietly. The boy seemed to like the food, as he gobbled it down quickly and licked his lips afterwards. Such a child drew pity from the depths of my heart.