The Bawdy House

A lone stone house with ivy clinging to its exterior walls greeted us. The convoy ahead had stopped here. I saw many of the men from the convoy group enter the stone house.

Ralph made his way over to our group. "If you're all looking for good rest, the bawdy house is right there."

The trade of selling the flesh wasn't expressly forbidden. However, most devotees to the True Faith highly frowned upon it.

As all men are deemed children of the gods, it was not only religiously immoral, but lawfully criminal to enslave fellow human beings. That's why indentured servitude existed. Despite knowing the women inside willingly plied this trade, I couldn't stomach the idea of paying for love, and so I simply declined. Ralph looked at Raine, who was still holding my hand. I don't know what he thought, but he nodded in understanding.

As for the others, William gave his son a handful of copper coins and sent him to seek a bit of amusement. The two self-proclaimed brothers had already left ahead of time. As for Jonas, he obviously didn't make a move with his wife standing watch beside him.

After telling us the information, Ralph headed towards the stone house.

The five of us, who were left, settled down and pitched our tents. Afterwards, I asked Jonas and Enola to keep watch over our belongings, while I took Raine to scavenge for food. We walked through the forest, trampling down the undergrowth and creating our own new path. The sun had yet to set. Between the gaps in the tree canopy, golden sunlight spilled through, illuminating the forest floor in a magical scene.

"Raine, do you think this forest is beautiful?"

"Yes," he replied.

I smiled. "I think so too."

It didn't take us long to find a river. The river was rapidly rushing. We followed the river downstream to find an area of still waters. A large tree had fallen over, creating a blockade against the rushing waters. I began to take off my clothes and bathed again. Raine lowered his head, but I caught him peeking at me a few times. Really? What is there to be shy about? It's not like he's a girl.

I looked in the water, but didn't find any fish. Inside the tradeshop, there were fish, but they seemed to be saltwater fish. Would it be fine to take them out? Or would it make others suspicious?

As I was thinking this, I realized the items in the tradeshop had a description. This fish was a breed which lived in both freshwater and saltwater.

Then crouching down, I pretended to catch fish. Having seen me catch fish before, Raine wasn't too surprised by my actions. I threw out seven fish onto the riverbank. This will be enough to share. We'll be feasting tonight.

The five of us sat around the bonfire, roasting fish and telling each other stories. Just as we were delighted by another round of William's tales of his youth, a stranger stood among our midst.