xxi. ticket back home

21 | TICKET BACK HOME

It had been a day since the two teams had not made any attempts to kill each other. Tony tinkered a piece of gadget while Steve, Bucky and Clint sat next to him. Barry slid into a chair at the farthest end of the table next to Oliver and Sara.

"Morning," Cap said pleasantly. 

"At least you're a morning person ..." Barry muttered. "Oliver nearly killed me just for walking through the door of the room when I tried going to the restroom. Who the hell keeps a freaking knife under their pillow?"

"Former League of Assassins member," Oliver grumbled as he leaned forward to cross his arms on the table surface. "What have I told you about waking me up?" 

"And where did you get the knife?" Tony demanded while Sara chuckled. 

Both Barry and Oliver ignored him. The speedster stuck his tongue out defiantly at the emerald archer before opening up his backpack, digging his hand around in it before retrieving his comms. He began examining it, trying to find a way to use his comms to send some sort of signal back to Cisco.

Tony was beside him in an instant, peeking over with an interest. "That seems like an advanced piece of technology. What do they do?"

Barry was really starting to get annoyed by the billionaire. "Oliver shoot him for me will you?" 

"Rather not," the emerald archer had a faint smile on his face. "We want to maintain peace ... and in order to do that, perhaps it will be best not to kill each other if we annoy one another." 

"Agreed ..." Steve put in.

Before Tony could open his mouth for a comeback, there was a sudden rush of air. Stray papers and napkins flew everywhere as a miniature hurricane came through the kitchen. Kara suddenly materialised and dropped two overstuffed McDonald's bag on the table. 

The kryptonian seemed to be in high spirits, a cheerful smile painted on her face. She was dressed in civilian clothes, wearing faded jeans, a plain grey t-shirt and a dark blue jacket.

"Sorry it took me so long," Kara said while Barry grabbed the smoking bag and began looking through it. "The lines were ridiculous all over the city ... so I flew all the way to New Jersey to pick up the food." 

Clint grabbed a hash brown out of the now burning bag as if it were an everyday occurrence and took a big bite out of it."Considering this is from New Jersey ... I have to say, it isn't that bad." 

Tony turned to Barry, who was scarfing down food beside Kara. "So uh ... Speedy. Care to explain how you got your powers? Not from an extra-terrestrial source I hope." 

Barry's face immediately became guarded and for a moment it appeared that he had lighting flash in his eyes. Kara, Oliver and Sara all glared at the billionaire.

"Pardon big mouth," Clint said before taking another bite and continuing through a mouthful of his breakfast. "He sprouts things out of his mouth faster than his brain can process them." 

Stark opened his mouth for a comeback, but found none. Instead he resorted to sticking his tongue out at the archer who gave him a smug smirk in return. Beat at his own game, the billionaire sat back in his chair with a sigh and continued to tinker with his piece of gadget.

Steve swatted the smoke away. He did not even seem the least bit surprise that someone had managed to ignite a greasy fast food restaurant take out bag by just flying insanely fast. Then again, he'd seen a lot of weird stuff from waking up seventy years in the future. 

There was a sudden buzzing noise, and Barry quickly picked up his comms. He lightly touched the wires and examined it on all sides, his eyes widening. "It picked up the frequency! Cisco managed to receive my signal."

A bright smile formed on Kara's face. "So they might be able to take us back to our Earth."

"Wait, wait, wait. So you guys are talking about the multiverse theory?" Tony questioned. "That's more fiction than fact. I admit that other dimensions and aliens exist ... but that's an entirely different ball game."

"Some of us don't speak Star Trek," Clint grumbled.

Barry plucked a napkin out of the takeaway bag. He then took out a red felt pen from his jeans pocket before scribbling a more or less perfect circle on its surface. 

"That looks like a beach ball," Tony pointed out. 

The speedster shot him a glare before beginning to explain. "There are multiple earths. They vibrate at different frequencies so they cannot see each other. Each one is a different copy from itself or maybe they have an alternate reality from what we are used to." 

He scribbled another few circles next to the original one. 

"You are now drawing bubbles," Tony stated dryly. 

Steve coughed, silencing him instantly. Tony crossed his arms, sitting back in his chair and tried to look interested as Barry continued explaining slowly and in a way the others could understand. He couldn't help but be impressed at the speedster who was obviously very intelligent.

"This earth, maybe dinosaurs were not wiped out and humans live alongside them," Barry pointed to one of the bubbles before moving on to another,."The Titanic didn't sink on this one. On this one—" 

"One where we're evil?" Clint asked with interest, "Because if there is ... I don't know whether to be creeped out or interested." 

"Been there ... it totally sucks and is creepy as hell. Anyways ... maybe here the South won the Civil War and slavery was never abolished. England won the revolutionary war, thus making the U.S be apart of England during modern times. And maybe the Nazi's won World War II on this one," Barry began to ramble on. 

Out of the corner of his eye, Tony and Clint noticed Steve and Bucky stiffen. Oliver, Sara and Kara also clearly noticed as they eyed the two super soldiers impassively before turning back to the speedster.

"Now if you were to move fast enough, and vibrate at just the right frequency," Barry drew a line between two of the circles. "You could pass through the barrier separating the earths ... and end up on a new one." 

"You just popped the bubbles," Tony stated while Barry sighed and put his pen down.

"Its a pathway, Tony" the speedster said with a hint of annoyance laced in his tone. "Our team just needs to find the right one and bring us back." 

"But how?" Steve asked.

"One of our teammates, Cisco, can open portals to other earths. More or less, we are going to have depend on him to bring us home," Sara answered, munching on a muffin.

 Kara played with her glasses, letting out a sigh. "All we can do until then is wait hopefully I guess."