IV - Jealous? Nah, He's No Nick Jonas

Distracted. That's what I was the whole day. Talk about first day of class, huh?

I didn't even had lunch just to avoid the eyes that I'm sure will be looking at the cafeteria. I hung out in the school's greenhouse. I don't think anyone would actually go there so I stayed within the privacy of the trees until lunch was over.

The image of Calum and Cara on the hood of his old BMW burns in my brain. It's a disaster given it's my first day back in this god-forsaken university. Even though they already know me, the professors insisted I introduce myself in front of the fucking class. Is this grade school? I shook my head in disdain.

Add up the people who were gawking and suddenly talking to me. Why the change? A year ago nobody knows me but now I'm a star. Insta-celebrity. It's fucking disgusting.

All in all, I had about five classes this semester, three of which are classes where Calum is my classmate. I haven't seen him in earlier classes thank gods but he's studying Engineering and so do I and eventually we'll see each other in class.

Luckily, I've taken up some advance stuff in America when I went there so I have less classes to share with him. Luckily also, Michael has some back subjects that he had to take up so we ended up classmates in PE. Also in this advanced class I had this morning, I was with senior engineering students. Cool.

I enter BioEngineering, the last of the three classes I have for that day and I almost buckled in my stride. There he was. At his usual seat at the back of every class. Only difference is he's not with his usual friends. He's with her. Cara.

Trying to keep calm and look unaffected, as that was what I should be, I scan the room and find a vacant seat. Fuck.

Why are the heavens so unforgiving today?

I thought as I sat directly in front of Calum's seat, the one and only vacant seat left in the room, beside this tall blond guy to my right. I can say he's tall even when sitting because he's gigantic. Such broad shoulders! He looks...nice. Good-looking, even. He just lacks some style, probably his hair, just some style or quiff and some clothing tips. His black shirt with a penguin print won't really make him look hot. But he has potential. Nice guy material. I went next to him and he was looking at me expectantly, a small smile on his face. Oh, gods, he has dimples! I like him already.

"Hey," I smiled at him, setting down my backpack on the floor.

"Nice to see you back," he smiled. Oh, he remembers me. Why don't I?

"I guess," I said, thinking I can afford being friends with this guy. His smile is sincere enough. Why haven't I seen that before? Surely, he's been our classmate since we were freshmen, and we're juniors now.

My subconscious answers for me, because the only guy you saw back then was Calum.

I sighed in surrender, fully knowing she was right. I was a crazed teenager. I made my life spin and revolve around Calum. I'll try not to anymore.

"I'm Luke, if you don't know, or remember," he shrugged, taking me away from my thoughts.

"Of course, Luke Hemmings. The Math geek, I remember. It's just... you've got taller."

"Growth spurth. Makes me look weirder than ever, I know. Makes it harder to.." he stops, hesitating to continue. Then, he shakes his head like he was clearing his head of bad thoughts, "I'm still a geek, just so you know. Runs in my blood, I guess," he chuckles but it didn't reach his eyes. Oh. Somebody's got a back story like I do. We'll get along well. I can see it already.

"Oh, Cassie!" I hear the familiar gushing voice behind me, almost startling me. Cara.

I reluctantly glanced back, a smile on my face. "Hey, didn't see you there," I lied.