VIII - Friendly Territory

The class I had after lunch had Irwin and Calum, no Luke, no Cara. I was about to fend for myself alone in the wilderness.

I entered the room and scanned for a safe place to sit, but I guess I was doomed to be beside Calum. The only seats left were on either side of Calum and on either side of Irwin. I chose familiar ground, of course. Grudgingly, I went to Calum's side and dumped my backpack on the floor.

"We're meant to be, you know?" he smirks.

"You probably just bribed people to sit where they are now so I'll have no choice but to sit here beside you," I pouted while taking out some books.

"There are seats beside Irwin," he comments.

I raise an eyebrow at him, then went to get my bag, "I'll go there, then."

"I was just kidding, Cass."

"I know. I prefer your dry sense of humor than to sit beside Irwin. I don't like him," I sigh.

"Don't you?" he smirks. "You were flirting with him yesterday."

I shot him a sharp look and he looked like he regretted saying it.

"Look, I'm sor--"

"Can you please not say things if you're going to regret them and say sorry afterwards?"

"Right back at you, Cass," he said meaningfully, his eyes burning into mine.

I froze. His words hit home. I slunk back in my seat, silent. I still remember it, blurry but I do.

"I love you," I giggled and kissed the tip of his nose. We were in his BMW parked outside the coffee shop where he always drops me off. I never let him drive me home, to my exact house, that is.

He pulled me closer, his arms automatically wrapping themselves around my waist, "And I love you more."

We kiss for a while until I broke away, "I have to go."

"Can you stop that?"

"Stop what?"

"That! Looking like you'll never see me again when you say bye. Like you're leaving me. I'd stay with you the whole night if you want, just let me drive you to your exact house, not here in this coffee shop," he growled at me.

"I'm not leaving you. Ever," I smiled at him, kissing his jaw.

Those were the days. The happiest days. But, like all the good things in my life, they had to end.

"Cassie?" he was frantic. We were supposed to meet at the coffee shop. That's where I want to say goodbye. I can't leave without a word. He'll wait for me if I do. I have to clear things up with him so he'll try to forget me. I have to break his heart.

"I'm leaving, Calum," I mustered all my strength to look cold and unforgiving. To look like I don't care.

"Cassie, please! Don't do this! Did I do something wrong? Please tell me! We can work on this! We can work on us! I'll be a better person for you, Cassie, please!"

It took all my willpower to say the next words, the words that are going to break him. "There's somebody else. And it's not you. H-he makes me happy."

What broke him, broke me. I saw it. The way he lost strength, the way he stopped struggling and stopping me. The way his mouth opens and trembles. The way his suddenly tearstained eyes pierced through me, painfully, like I betrayed him. But at that time, I did. When I couldn't take it anymore, I left. I went inside the car and drove off, not looking back.