XI - Nerd goes Punk

The three of us decided to take the plan into action the coming weekend. We didn't have Friday classes so we all went. Michael didn't want to come but since his Trailblazer offers a spacious back compartment, he had to tag along. Well, I'm planning to buy Luke Hemmings a new set of wardrobe.

"You need to get out sometimes, Mikey. You're so pale, some sun would be healthy for you," I commented as he grumpily started the engine and off we go to the mall.

"I'm already driving you and Luke, no need to say those."

"Oh, come on, we'll eat out afterwards. My treat," I said and as he smiles, then it's okay. It's that easy for me and Michael, now with Luke as he sat behind, silent and probably nervous to what's gonna happen to him.

As soon as we got to the mall, I tugged the two of them to my favorite salon. We walked in and I pushed Luke onto one of the seats, ordering the hairstylist on what to do. A trim and a quiff would look good on him, I also told the hairstylist to give Luke tips how to do the quiff on his own.

While waiting, I went and read magazines while Michael flirted with the cute cashier. It's almost an hour when they finished.

"Whoa," I breathed when Luke comes up to Michael and me. "I knew it. You were hot."

He blushes and scratches the back of his head, biting the right side of his lip. "Nah.."

"Yeah, you are! I'm so happy you're my boyfriend right now," I exclaimed playfully. He was always a cute little nerd but right now he went from probably 30-100 real fucking quick. I can almost imagine the girls at school swooning. This is all coming together smoothly. We paid the salon and went out.

Afterwards, we enter shop after shop of men's clothing and I made Luke try on countless shirts (Luke preferred band shirts) and plaids and pants and shoes that in the end, we've bought clothes probably enough to fill his whole wardrobe at home. I also pushed Michael to buy some new tees and pants, telling him those will serve him well. Luke was reluctant to make me pay for the whole thing but I insisted. Not being boastful at all but because I can and besides, enjoyed the whole afternoon. After paying, I already made Luke wear a black Glamour Kills tee and black skinny jeans and black converses.

As it was 4PM already, we decided to eat at IHOP where Michael was just too excited. We feasted and stayed there, just hanging out after walking around so much.

"You didn't need serious work, Luke. Just new clothes and the right hairstyle," I said as I sipped on my shake.

"I'm slowly starting to think that you like Luke, Cass," Michael comments while also sipping on his shake.

"Nahh, I'm just proud of what I did," I said as I laughed.

"Let's go, I'm bored and sleepy," Michael groans.

"Uhm, can we go to one more place?" Luke suddenly speaks up from listening to me and Michael.

-

"What exactly are we doing in a tattoo and piercing parlor, Luke?" I ask as we walk in the weird place. Tattoo parlors have always been a weird place for me, it always looks so...gothic.

"You gonna get inked? Liz will be ballistic," Michael laughs, talking about Luke's mom.

"I won't, she'll throw me out of the house," Luke shakes his head while laughing and I notice the reverence in his voice while talking about his mom. He loves his mom dearly. Funny, but the thought of Luke being a mama's boy just made me like him more as a friend.

He walked up to the guy in the counter, where the bulky, inked guy said, "What would you like, boy?"

Luke answered in a clear voice that made my and Michael's eyebrow shot up, "Piercing."

The guy made Luke follow him and he gestured us to wait. Michael and I did.

"Why do you think he's doing this?" I ask Michael, thinking that maybe he knows since they clearly know each other.

"You've given him confidence to be who he is, Cass," Michael says. I always don't expect Michael to say things like this but he shocks me with his words of wisdom. He's weird that way but I've known him enough to know when he's being serious.

I look at him, my eyes full of question, urging him to continue.

"You know he plays, right? I've seen him play and based on what I hear from him, I know the bands where he got inspirations from. The kid's got a punk side. Nerdy yet punk," he shakes his head, finding it funny.

It is.

A math-loving lanky, nerdy guy who loves punk and rock and roll and screamo? Luke Hemmings proves to be something entirely unique.

Shortly after, Luke walks back, head down low. The bulky guy from the counter's probably also the one who pierced him. He looks up and there it was.

A lip piercing.

Right at the part he keeps chewing on.

Weird but it looked good on him. If I didn't know him, I'd say he looked so badass. A badass blond hottie.

He pays the guy and turns to us, "Let's go?"

Michael and I nod and went to Michael's car, our hands full of bags.

We drove home, turning up the radio as one of the stations plays rock hits on Fridays. We all sing along as soon as we hear All Time Low's Something's Gotta Give.

"Wake me up! Say enough is enough!" I shout, air drumming in my seat.

"I'm dying to live, something's gotta give!" Luke sings on the top of his lungs, shredding an imaginary guitar while Michael bangs his head to the beat.

The rest of the ride home went like that as the station taunts us, playing Stacy's Mom, Coheed's Welcome Home, and some other solid rock jams.

We stopped and dropped Luke to his house, him carrying loads and loads of shopping bags. We say goodbye but Luke tugs me, "Thanks, Cass."

He awkwardly hugs me and I hug him back. Somehow, I feel so accomplished because of what I did. Helping Luke be him. The car ride home definitely showed me the real side of Luke the nerd guy Hemmings. He was a nerdy punk mama's boy, Michael was right.

"Anytime, Hemmo."

He let go and took a deep breath as he walked to their doorstep.

"Text me how it goes, okay?" I shout as Michael started driving. I saw him nod and we round up the corner, on our way home.

"How will Liz handle it?" I ask Michael, wondering about his mom.

"She'll get over it. She probably has an idea of what Luke really wants to be. Besides, she's nice and she loves Luke. She probably wants him happy," he says and we were both silent afterwards, the radio turned down now.

"I hope it goes well."

"It will, Cash. Don't fuss," Michael retorts and he's back to his playful self. I could never predict this guy, one minute he's über serious and goes life coach on me and would give advice then a carefree, derpy idiot the next.