Ashley- Chapter One

The annoying beeping of my small alarm woke me up from a deep sleep at the unfortunate hour of six in the morning. I rolled over in my bed and smacked my hand down on the clock to silence it. However, in my efforts to turn the obnoxious beeping off, I knocked the clock off my bedside table and it fell onto my gray carpeted floor. Too bad the clock did not break, I wanted to sleep longer. I groaned and finally got out of bed. Picking up my alarm clock, I placed it back on my nightstand and went to get my phone that was charging on the other side of my room. Taking the charger out of the phone, I crawled back into bed and checked my notifications. I had a few Instagram likes, Twitter retweets, and Facebook status updates. I don't even know why I have Facebook on my phone anymore. It's not like anyone uses it nowadays. It's mostly for old people. When I was done checking my social media, I saw I had a text message from my best friend Carrie. Carrie and I have been best friends since kindergarten. I stole one of her toys and we immediately became best friends. All the text said was that she was going to be late for school. Typical Carrie.

Before going downstairs, I picked clothes out of my walk-in closet and put them on. The weather is chilly out so I decided to wear a white short sleeve shirt with light brown fake buttons going down the middle of the shirt. Then I opted for dark ripped blue skinny jeans and a light brown cardigan to throw over the top of my outfit. For shoes, I decided on tan slip-on sneakers. Once I got dressed, I sat down at my black modern desk/vanity and did my makeup. My makeup routine is pretty straightforward; lotion, primer, fountain, concealer, powder, brows, eye shadow, mascara, bronzer, highlight, blush, and then setting spray. Doing my makeup every day for school can seem tedious and annoying but I find it therapeutic. I look at it as thirty minutes to focus on myself and express my personality. It's comforting and relaxing. After I finished my makeup, I walked out of my room and to the bathroom that is across the hallway. I wanted to straighten my hair today, so I got out my trusty straighter and headed to work. Since my hair is a couple of inches past my shoulders and pretty thick, it takes me fifteen minutes to do my hair. When my dark brown hair was perfectly straight, I went back into my room and picked up a dark brown claw clip and took a small piece of hair from each side of my face, and clipped them back behind my head. I then took the hairspray bottle I keep in my room and lightly sprayed my hair.

Grabbing my bookbag that was all packed for school, I was ready to head downstairs and grab a small breakfast. When I got downstairs my mom was already in the kitchen making her first cup of coffee for the day.

"Good morning sweetie," She said to me when she saw me enter the bright white and black kitchen. My mom was sat down at the small island reading emails on her phone.

"Morning," I said back as I grabbed a banana. I'm not really a morning person, so the less conversation in the morning the better.

"Have a great day at school!" My middle-aged mother called to me as I was just about to step out the front door.

Ignoring her, I prepared for my walk to school. Autumn is coming so there are leaves blowing off the trees and falling to the ground. My walk to school is fairly short. I pass ten houses and a small fire station. Finally, I make it to school.

When I reach the steps of the school that lead into the main hallway, I sit down on the first step. Pulling out my phone, I text Carrie:

"I'm at school. Where r u?"

Carrie texted back two minutes later: "Five minutes away."

I sighed and locked my phone. Carrie is always late to everything. Luckily school doesn't start for another ten minutes so I have time to wait for her.

As I waited, I watched as busses arrived and students made their way into school. I watched as students joined their respective groups and how they talked amongst themselves.