Chapter 24

Piper's POV

Emily's eyes are fixed on me.

No. NO! This can't be happening! I've worked so hard to be featured at nationals. I can't be cut off now!

'Piper, I'm sorry but-'

'Take me off', Josh interrupts.

'What?!', Emily and I exclaim.

'Take me off the dance. This is my fault.'

My mouth drops wide open. Why would he do that?

'Josh, you may go', Emily says.

He nods and heads out the door.

'Piper, I want you to start thinking about who you want your new duet partner to be. Let me know by the end of the week', Emily instructs.

'Ok. I will.'

I leave the office and walk to the bus stop, trying to comprehend what just happened.

Why did Josh do what he did? And why is he saying it's his fault?

Once I'm on the bus, I unlock my phone and click on Josh's name.

Bring!

'Hey Piper.'

'Josh, are you ok?'

'Yeah', he sighs. 'I'm fine.'

'You sure?'

'Yeah, yeah, really. Don't worry about me. You'll be amazing in the duet.'

A few seconds pass before I blurt out the word that plays over and over in my mind.

'Why? Why did you give up your spot? And why did you say it was your fault? You didn't do anything!'

'We'll talk about it on Wednesday. It's... not really something I should tell you over the phone.'

'Ok...', I reply, biting my lip. 'Can you meet me in the music room half an hour before rehearsal?'

'Sounds good. See you then.'

'See you.'

I put my phone away and close my eyes.

I don't get it.

He isn't the one who left rehearsal for 20 minutes and had a panic attack.

He isn't the one who failed to give eye contact in the dance.

He isn't the one who said that they like someone else.

If it's anyone's fault, it's mine.

Beep, beep!

I almost jump out of my seat. Thank goodness I put an alarm on my phone to get ready to hop off the bus.

Wednesday

(Still Piper's POV)

I pace from one side of the music room to the other, trying to collect my thoughts.

A tall brunette figure walks in.

'Hey josh', I wheeze.

'Hey', he replies.

Our eyes finally meet.

I start, 'I don't get it... why did you do what you did?'

He takes a deep breath. 'I'm sorry.'

I jerk my head back and raise my eyebrows. 'For what?'

'For not realising that I liked you ever since we worked on that duet together two years ago. For never contacting you after I left.'