Chapter 43

Sunday

Piper's POV

I take one deep breath before texting Finn when mum and I reach the front door. I don't want to risk waking up the rest of the family by knocking.

P: I'm here.

Gosh, I hope he's ready.

Each second that I wait feels like a day. I stare at my phone, waiting for the bottom of the screen to display read.

Nothing. He's not online. No three dots indicating that he's typing.

Oh gosh. If he's still asleep, I'm going to die right here and now.

The door swings open and I flinch.

'Hey!', Finn whisper-shouts, grinning widely at my mum and me.

I almost collapse in relief.

'Thank goodness Finn, I thought you were asleep!', I shriek in an attempted whisper.

Finn explains, 'Well I w-'

I stretch out my arm in front of him with my palm up, shushing him. 'You can tell me in the car. Are you ready? Is everything packed?'

'Almost!', he cheers.

Almost? Knowing Finn, 'almost' could mean anything. I really hope he's being honest with me.

'Ok, well I'm coming up to your room to check', I reply.

Finn shrugs casually, replying with 'Ok! I just need my toothbrush', while we tip-toe up the stairs. When I say we, I mean I tread lightly, while Finn manages to create a stampede with his own two feet.

I wait in his room until he returns from the bathroom, toothbrush in hand. He places it in his toiletry bag which lays open on his bed.

'What about toothpaste?', I remind him.

'Ah, yes. Toothpaste. Thanks Pipes!', Finn replies, dashing back to the bathroom. I roll my eyes.

Finn returns and zips up the toiletries bag. He heads over to his backpack, unzipping the main compartment.

'What are you doing?', I ask.

Finn furrows his eyebrows. 'Uh... packing my toiletries?'

'Finn! You can't bring them in your hand luggage! Security will confiscate all the liquid products! Including your toothpaste, and I don't have a spare one this time for you to take.'

Finn bites his lip, moving towards his open suitcase. 'But how am I going to fit in- oh! That's right! You left room for it!'

He slots the bag in the empty space and it fits perfectly. 'Thanks Piper.'

'Don't even worry about it', I joke, causing his lips to curl upwards once more.

'Ok, so you've got everything?', I ask.

'Yep!'

I begin listing the most important items out loud. 'Phone, phone charger, wallet, drink bottle...'

'Tick, tick, tick and tick', Finn replies.

'Passport?'

Finn's eyes widen. 'Passport... flip. I have no idea where my passport is.'

'FINN!', I shout, eyes bulging.

He smirks, putting his hand behind his back to retrieve something from the pocket of his jeans. He holds out a small, navy-blue booklet.