Chapter 35

Piper's POV

As soon as I get home from rehearsal, I head to my room, phone in hand.

Should I call Josh and check if he's ok?

As if he has read my mind, Josh's name appears on the screen. I swipe across the phone.

'Hey Josh', I greet.

'Hey.'

'Are... you ok?', I ask.

Josh sighs. 'Yeah, I'm ok. I just got home from the match. I wish my parents would prioritise my interests for once.'

'Have you spoken to Emily?', I ask.

'No, not really. She said that she'd talk to me about this later. I'm kinda freaking out. I won't be surprised if she kicks me off the team.'

'She wouldn't do that. Besides, she knows that it's not your fault', I soothe.

'Why won't my parents just listen to me?!', he shrieks.

I'm not sure whether that's meant to be a rhetorical question or not. After a few seconds, I decide to answer anyway.

'I don't- I don't know', I stutter.

Josh asks, 'Are you free tomorrow after school?'

This is a bit random. We've barely talked and now he wants to hang out?

'Ahh... sorry, I tutor until 8pm on Tuesdays', I reply. That is the truth.

Josh's POV

'Oh, no worries', I reply, trying to hide the disappointment. 'I was going to ask if you'd be willing to teach me the new choreo tomorrow that I missed so that I've got it down before next rehearsal, but I can ask someone else'.

The truth is, I've had a pretty hard time trying to make friends on the team. My only other friend I made when I first came to the studio was Zara, who has left. The 'bros' (at least I think that's what they call themselves) are a very tight-knit group and they've known each other for years, so it's hard to weave into that circle.

'We could meet on Wednesday before school', Piper points out.

'That's true, I hadn't thought about that'. I ponder for a second. 'That would mean that you'd have to wake up at, like, 6am though!'

'I'm an early bird. I wake up then half the time anyway', Piper says.

'Ok, well if you're alright with it, can we meet in the studio at 7 on Wednesday?', I ask.

'Yep, sounds good. I can text Emily and book the space', Piper offers.

'Awesome, that would be great. Thanks a bunch! See you Wednesday!', I cheer.

'No worries, see you then', Piper says.

Wednesday

Piper's POV

'Ok, so when you enter from side stage, you'll be standing between Ozzy and Summer', I begin to explain to Josh, walking him to his spot on the studio floor. 'All you bystanders are walking side by side in slow motion when you pass me. When I get pushed by the bullies and spin to the ground, you, Amy and Summer glance towards me but you quickly look back ahead. Ozzy is the only one whose gaze last longer, but eventually he looks back ahead too.'

I dance Josh's movements and he copies me, picking up the choreo pretty quickly.

'When the bystanders have passed me the second time, Ozzy turns around after some mental deliberation and rushes over to pick me up from the ground. You three keep walking', I say. Josh nods. 'The next time you pass me, both you and Ozzy come over to help. We have a trio section there.' I teach Josh the choreo for the trio part, which is a bit hard to do with only two people present but after I show him one at a time what each dancer does, he catches on and correctly performs to me what A-troupe decided he does in that section.