Chapter 48

You might want have a box of tissues by your side. That's all I have to say.

Josh's POV

Amy, Ozzy and Richelle showed all of A-troupe the trio before we left for nationals, so watching them rehearse the dance is nothing new. I look around. Everyone's in their groups. Piper and Finn are sitting hip to hip against the wall. Henry is with Summer in the corner. Kingston and Lily are having a heated argument about who knows what. Heath and Kenzie are chatting about the hotel food.

Despite being back on A-troupe for months, I still haven't found my place. I have no-one to go to. No-one really even to talk to. I still feel like an outcast. It's making me start to wonder if The Next Step will ever feel like my home again.

Sighing, I unlock my phone because there's nothing else for me to do.

I'm greeted by a ping with a message from my mum. I click on messages to see the full text.

Hi honey, I hope you're having a good time at regionals! We have fantastic news!

Adam just got asked to a tryout for a AAA team! We only just found out about it and it's in 2 days. The best thing is that the team is only a 10-minute drive from home! This is a milestone in Adam's life that obviously your dad and I can't miss, but we just realised that it's on the same day as your semi-finals so we can't be in 2 places at once, especially since nationals is a 5-hour flight away! And since your finals routine (if you make it that far) is in the day instead of in the evening, we wouldn't be able to make it to the finals either. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to sell our nationals tickets.

But we can watch your dances on demand when you get home of course!

You should wish your brother good luck xxx

Mum

Unbelievable!

How could my parents be so careless, heartless?

They're prioritising a tryout over the biggest moment in my life!

I can't believe I thought that they were going to come and watch me. When they bought the nationals tickets, I was the most excited I've ever been in my life. I actually thought that for the first time, they were invested in something I'm interested in.

Do I not matter to them at all?

I stare at the wall, a deep pit forming in my stomach.

Richelle's POV

Emily stops the music and the three of us swivel towards her, confused.

'Are you ok, Richelle?', Emily asks.

'Yeah', I lie. 'Why?'

'You're a beat behind.'

Amy and Ozzy look at me, slightly annoyed. 'I'm sorry, guys. I'm just so tired', I explain.

'Well we can't rehearse properly if we're not all dancing full out', Amy points out.

'Maybe we should just spend a few minutes marking the routine first, so that we can all wrap our heads around it again?', Ozzy suggests.

We nod. 'That's a good idea, Ozzy', Amy replies.

I grin, grateful for the few minutes of recovery that Ozzy's given me.

Kingston's POV