Chapter Forty

"What's with the long face?" I asked, handing him a cookie that A3 had baked with her grandparents

He sighed and leaned on the wall, his eyes still on my daughter who was happily playing with Yvette. "My princesa hasn't greeted me yet," he said, sulking.

I bit my lips to conceal my laughter and faked a concern. "Maybe she forgot?" My tone taunting.

"But she greeted Dad!" pagmamaktol niya.

He took a bite of the cookie and looked at me with hopeful eyes. "She will greet me, right?"

Sinalubong ko ang tingin niya at saka ako magaang pumikit.

"Right?" ulit pa niya.

Pabirong hinampas ko siya sa balikat. "Stop being silly and play with her!" naiirita kunyaring pagtataboy ko. 

The truth is, hindi naman talaga nakalimutan ni A3. Hindi lang talaga siya binabati bilang ganti sa pag-agaw niya sa'kin no'ng rest day namin. He's probably hurt because it's the first time since A3 learned to talk that she hasn't greeted him "Happy Father's Day". Hindi ko tuloy alam kung maawa ako o matatawa sa damulag na nagmumukmok na'to.

Asher only came home just to join us to celebrate Father's Day. He will be flying back to Korea tomorrow for whatever shenanigans he has there, leaving me to take responsibility for all the work he will leave behind. That jerk.

I took a sit on one of the patios by the pool and watched them fangirl and fanboy over A3. They are running around the lawn, giggling and shrieking like some kids in the kindergarten. I sighed and rested my gaze on the ring on my finger. 

It would be naive of me to wish that our lives would always be this peaceful, right? 

***

"Are you sure you're not going to bring the little girl to the charity ball?" he asked, ruffling my hair.

I quickly swat his hand away and glared at him. "Yes, I don't want her anywhere near the public's eye."

He chuckled then pulled his hand away. "How about you? Are you sure you're ready to enter the high society?" His voice was laced with both concern and guilt.

It was the Lucado's unwritten rule to keep everything precious to them a secret. It was known that we are a part of the family but that's it, every little piece of information about us was carefully concealed, especially my A3's name. Any information that is out and about is merely rumor, nothing but gossip that feeds the curiosity of the gossipmonger wives of the high society. An open secret it may be, but secret enough to protect us from unwanted attention. A perfect net to keep us hidden from their eyes.

My eyes narrowed. "Wow ha? Whose fault is that? Look, Asher. I will not question whatever it is that you are doing behind my back-- our back." His forehead creased. "But let me tell you, this will be the last time I am going to catch the responsibility that you are always trying to avoid." He tried concealing his shock with a smile but it was too late because I already saw it.