QUESTIONS FROM THE DEFENSE

Case No.:
947903APH

Prosecutor:
Shin & Kim on behalf of The People

Defendant:
Bae, Kim & Lee LLC on behalf of Mercury INC

Date:
December 17th 2021

Speakers:
Seung Mina, Witness for the Prosecution
Attorney Lee, Defence
Supreme Court Justice Kim, Judge

A. Lee: You mentioned earlier that you didn't have a choice? We all have choices Mina. You chose not to report Mercury INC.

S. Mina: That's not fair. I was contractually obliged to comply.

A. Lee: But surely if you deemed it to be a data breach that was a threat to the greater population, surely it would have been your civic duty to report it? Unless you believe that Mercury INC did nothing wrong?

S. Mina: What? No. Mercury INC did something unspeakable in the data industry. The breach was bigger than anything I've ever seen before.

A. Lee: If you're of that opinion, surely you would have reported it? Unless you're of questionable morals, Miss Seung?

SJC. Kim: Attorney Lee, this line of questioning is against court protocol. Please do not add bias to your questions.

A. Lee: Sorry, your honour. I digress. Miss Seung, you invented something that I believe you called 'Flirt Mode'?

S. Mina: Uh, yes. I did.

A. Lee: Why?

S. Mina: ... I was trying to prevent things from getting out of hand. My user is a charismatic man. It was very easy to get lost in the conversation. It was a way for me to try and remain professional. 

A. Lee: Who is the person you are referring to when you say your 'user'?

S. Mina: ...Park Jimin.

A. Lee: And were you aware of who Park Jimin was before you were assigned to be his A.I.?

S. Mina: Yes. Hard not to be. 

A. Lee: So how are we to know that you aren't some crazed fan who jumped at the opportunity to have a 'special' connection to her favourite star?

S. Mina: What? 

SJC. Kim: Attorney Lee, need I remind you again about your line of questioning?

A. Lee: It's a valid question. I'm only making sure that Miss Seung isn't destroying the reputation of Mercury INC in a bid to satisfy her own motives. I'm just trying to be thorough, as all attorneys should be. 

SJC. Kim: Very well. Question upheld.

S. Mina: Really?

SJC. Kim: Really, Miss Seung. Please answer the question.

S. Mina: No. I wasn't a crazed fan jumping at the opportunity to speak with him. I was just doing my job.

A. Lee: Flirt Mode? Doesn't that seem a bit like more than just 'your job'?

S. Mina: I'm a real person. I was spending day-in, day-out talking with him. It's natural to develop a... fondness. We joked around a lot. It's in my nature to flirt a little with the people I feel comfortable with. I was trying to create boundaries. I didn't think he'd activate them.

A. Lee: No? So you didn't repeatedly mention it? You didn't ask him if he wanted to activate the services?

S. Mina: Well, yes, but-

A. Lee: Thank you. That's all your honour. No further questions at this time.