1

----- beginning of season 1 -----

Connecting... connecting... connecting... flashed on my phone's screen.

Am I the only one who hates staring at my own face before the other person answers?

As I examined myself, I noticed a big pimple on my nose, just about to pop it when my sister's face appeared.

Katharina: „Urghh, Elly. Get that off the screen."

She grimaced in disgust.

Elly: „Calm down, it's a natural thing."

Katharina: „So is peeing, but I don't want to watch you do that."

Elly: „Maybe you are missing out. Some people would pay to see me pee."

I grinned. I was always able to push her buttons.
I knew how to provoke her.

She closed her eyes, probably counting to ten in her head to deal with my nonsense.

Katharina: "I hope you'll behave better when you visit."

Elly: „If not, will you spank me like you do with the twins?"

Two little heads pushed into view.

Twins: „Mommy doesn't spank us."

Elly: „Sweet. Did your mom promise you candy to say that?"

Katharina: „No, they just want to save me from false accusations."

Twins: „Mommy doesn't give us any candy! She eats it all! Daddy does too!"

I gasped as if this was the most outrageous thing I'd ever heard.

Elly: „Good to know! I'll bring loads of money and buy all the candy you want when I visit."

Their little eyes lit up.
Twins: „Really? When will you be here?"

Elly: „In a few weeks. You won't have to wait long."

That was the key for Katharina to take over again.

Katharina: "So it's really happening with your trip to Freeridge? I can't believe they are paying for your whole class to go to America. We never got anything like that, and we were good students."

Elly: "Yeah, but you weren't the best 10th grade in whole Germany." I said, feeling proud.

Katharina: „True. But being smart doesn't help if you are a dumbass in other ways."
She tried to hide her grin.

Elly: „I'll take that."
Now I knew where I got my snappiness from.

Elly: „The important thing is that I'll visit soon and finally meet the twins in real life."
Katharina squealed with excitement.

Katharina: "It'll just like when we were little! You can sleep in my bed. Caleb can take the couch. We'll talk all night, watch trash TV, and eat pizza and chips."

My good mood vanished. Not because I didn't like the idea, but I had to crush Katherina's hopes.

Elly: "Unfortunately, my teachers won't let me live at your place."

Katharina: "What?? Why?"

Elly: "They are worried I'll only speak German and just hang out with you guys. It defeats the purpose of getting to know America and the language. Ridiculous, right? I'll be living there full-time in a few months."

Katharina: "I imagined it differently, but you're right. We're lucky. By the way, who's your host family? Maybe I know them."

I pulled up the info from our school on my laptop.