8

After I was done giving Oscar a little "hands-on" quality time, we tidied up and made our way to the kitchen for a drink. Cesar was lurking nearby, eyeing us suspiciously.

Cesar: "What's got you looking so smug, grinning like a fool?" he asked Oscar, narrowing his eyes.

Oscar: "I'd love to spill the beans, but..."

I jumped in before he could finish.

Elly: "But we don't kiss and tell, right?"

Cesar: "Okay, please stop right there. Some things are definitely better left to the imagination."

We smirked at Cesar's flustered expression.

After a few minutes of chatting, I started to feel really tired. If I didn't hit the hay soon, I might just turn into a permanent fixture on this chair.

Oscar: "Wait, mi amor! Why not crash in my room? I'd much rather cuddle with you than my little brother."

Cesar: "And what am I supposed to do?"

Oscar: "Sleep on the couch, the floor, out in the street, in some hynas's bed. I don't give a shit."

Cesar: "Wow. Thanks."
I couldn't help but snicker at the horrified look on Cesar's face.

Elly: "Chill, guys! I'll stay with Amelie. I've been neglecting her lately."

Oscar's face fell like he'd been served cold fries at a drive-thru. I couldn't let him sulk, so I swooped in and planted a big kiss on his forehead, whispering, "Don't sweat it, papi! We've got plenty of nights ahead of us where it'll just be you and me."

With that, I turned around and walked away, leaving him wanting more.

As I stepped into the room, I found Amelie finishing up her goodbyes to her parents.

Elly: "Everything good at home?"

Amelie: "Yeah, everyone's fine. My parents visited your folks today, and I'm pretty sure they spent the whole time gossiping about us."

I giggled—because let's be honest, that was definitely a possibility.

Amelie: "Oh, and by the way, Olivia and Monse want us to meet up tomorrow at Ruby's. Jasmine's coming too."

Elly: "And you're down to go?"

Amelie: "Of course... while you were off playing house with your gang leader, I got to know them pretty well." Her voice was calm, but there was no mistaking the sting beneath her words.

I felt a pang of guilt tightening in my chest. "I'm really sorry if I've been a bit distant... life's been overwhelming lately, and I guess I lost track."

Amelie didn't respond right away. She stared down at the bedspread, her fingers tracing the pattern absentmindedly, as if searching for answers that wouldn't come. After a long pause, she finally spoke, her voice quieter now, almost fragile.

Amelie: "A bit? You've been gone a lot, Elly." Her gaze didn't lift, her eyes fixed on some faraway thought. "I want you to be happy... I really do. Seeing you smile makes me happy too. But... we don't have much time left. Soon, all this will be behind us, and... we won't have these moments to share anymore."

Her words hit me harder than I expected. I could feel the weight of what she was saying, the truth we'd both been avoiding. 

Elly: "But... just because I'm leaving doesn't mean we can't stay close. We can still text, video chat, visit each other... it doesn't have to change everything."