5

That wasn't the last time Oscar found an excuse to hang out with me. Honestly, it felt like he was always scheming for some alone time. Not that I minded. I was very open to it.

From day one, we clicked. Well, if you ignore the daily bickering. But despite that, actually getting together? A whole other story.

Enter: Amelie. My best friend and, apparently, professional third-wheel. She wasn't just your everyday protective friend—oh no, she did her very best at keeping Oscar at arm's length.

Still, Oscar and I managed to sneak in our moments. One morning, when Amelie decided to sleep in, Oscar and I made a mad dash for breakfast at a nearby diner. And nearly every evening, we cooked dinner together. After Amelie slept, I'd sneak into the living room to play video games with him. Our little secret.

Obviously, people started noticing. We flirted, we laughed—no surprise Amelie and Cesar were side-eyeing us. Maybe it was the way I ended up on Oscar's lap more times than I should have. Just friends, right?

Not much beyond that ever happened, though. Amelie made sure of it with her constant, watchful eye.

One morning, I picked a fight with Oscar over the house looking like a frat party aftermath. On my way out with a trash bag, I noticed Cesar and his crew nearby.

"Hey guys! What's up?" I said, casually.

Before I knew it, Jamal yanked me behind a bush, looking like he was mid-episode of Survivor.

"Shh!" He gestured for me to zip it, whispering so fast I barely caught it. "Ruby's talking to Oscar. And he's probably gonna mess it up and die. We're hiding."

I raised an eyebrow and nodded in confusion. Their venture sounded very weird to me. Suddenly we heard two gunshots. Quite near to us.

Ruby, clearly believing in divine intervention, said, "I think that was a sign

Ruby, clearly believing in divine intervention, said, "I think that was a sign. God doesn't want me to go in there."

Monse rolled her eyes. "Don't chicken out, Ruby. Man up!"

The poor guy reluctantly walked toward Oscar, who was working on his car, while the rest of the crew sat back, making bets on Ruby's chances of survival.

Jamal wasn't convinced. "He won't make it. He's toast."

Monse turned to me. "You're good with Oscar, right?"

"Yeah... I guess?" I said, feeling like I was about to be sent on some weird rescue mission.

"Go check on them. You know, just in case."

I chuckled to myself. What did they think would happen in there? Sure, Oscar had done some messed-up things, but did they really think he'd just kill Ruby for no reason? It was silly, but I wanted to calm them down.

"Okay, okay, I will. Don't worry," I reassured them.

I headed back inside, standing around a corner near Ruby and Oscar. Leaning against the wall, I listened to their conversation as they sat across from each other.