2

The day of our departure loomed, filling me with a mix of nerves and excitement.

Our flight was set for early morning, and it would take us until the next day to reach Los Angeles. Let me tell you, it was the longest flight I'd ever endured.

As I stood waiting for my baggage, I couldn't shake the thought that I had to fly this route three more times. It gave me a headache, so I pushed it aside and scanned the bustling airport.

Just as I turned my gaze, my suitcase whizzed past me. I lunged to grab it but was too slow. I nearly collided with a guy standing next to me. I quickly apologized, backing off awkwardly and speedwalking after my back.

In my head, I chanted, "Don't run. You'll look ridiculous." Right, because speedwalking through an airport while dodging confused travelers was any better.

Amelie: „Elly! You look ridiculous. Stop walking like that!"

She lifted my suitcase off the carousel.

Amelie: „And get your bag. It's heavy!"

I slowed down and smiled at her. She was already waiting for me.

Amelie: „Come on! The others are heading out. I don't want to lose them after 5 minutes here."

Pulling my bag behind me, I teased, "Maybe we'd have more fun this way."

Amelie just rolled her eyes but couldn't hide a small smile.

We navigated through the airport and quickly caught up with our group, who hadn't even noticed we were missing. Great job, teachers.

As we left the airport, the sun blazed overhead, and I felt as if it was targeting me specifically. I glanced at Amelie's tense face and knew I had to lighten the mood.

Elly: "Before any gangs get us, this heat might just kill us first."

She shot me a reproachful look, but I grinned. Complaining about my silliness usually calmed her down.

Elly: "You don't show it, but I know you love my humor."

Amelie: "I do. But at this rate, I'm going to die from a heart attack."

We were shushed by our teacher, who looked less than pleased with our banter. He explained that we'd be taking a train to Freeridge since it was a bit out of town.

As soon as the train doors opened, the boys in our class stormed inside. I couldn't help rolling my eyes.

I hoisted my suitcase into the train and helped Amelie with hers. The train was crowded, but we managed to find seats.

Once we settled, our teachers gave out papers with important phone numbers, addresses, and our schedule for the week.

Amelie immediately started studying it and saved the numbers on her phone.

I, on the other hand, was too sweaty to concentrate. The train felt hot and stuffy, and I hadn't slept much on the plane. I fanned myself with the paper, grateful when we finally arrived at our stop.

Stepping off, we followed our teachers out of the station. With exaggerated hand gestures, our teacher motioned for us to gather in a circle.

Nearby, another group of equally uncomfortable people waited. My brilliant mind concluded they must be our host families.

Amelie: „Can you see the Diaz brothers?"

I shook my head.

One of our teachers approached the group, his strong German accent making me worry people might think he was about to start World War III.