3

Once Amelie finished her meal, we were ready to roll. I had this brilliant idea to visit my sister, and Amelie was totally on board.

Elly: "Care to share the mental checklist you're working on?"

Amelie: "I could, but it might be a bit much for your, let's say, 'unique' brain."

Elly: "Challenge accepted! The worst that could happen is I faint."

Amelie: "Alright, at your own risk!"

She started listing essentials—charged phones, keys, water—and I held each item up like I was presenting a magic trick before tossing it into her bag.

When she finally ran out of ideas, she flashed me a triumphant smile.

Elly: "Alright, let's gooo!"

I was practically bouncing with excitement to see my sister and her family again.

Amelie grabbed my arm and pulled me toward the door. As we strolled past the guys, we put on our best awkward smiles, trying not to trip over our own feet.

 As we strolled past the guys, we put on our best awkward smiles, trying not to trip over our own feet

Before we could pass Spooky, he stepped in our way.

Oscar: "Where are you headed?"

Elly: "To my sister."

He furrowed his brow, looking puzzled.

Oscar: "Is your sister with another host family?"

Elly: "No, she's older and lives in Freeridge with her family—very close by." I gave him the address, and he paused to think.

Sad Eyes chimed in, "Is your sister the sexy German married to Caleb?"

I nodded, already imagining how flattered she'd be to hear that.

Elly: "I haven't seen her in a while, so I'm really excited to catch up."

Oscar: "Yeah, that's not happening."

Now it was me looking puzzled.

Elly: "Excuse me? As long as I can walk there, I can visit my sister."

Oscar: "It's not safe for you both to go alone, especially since you don't know the area."

Elly: "We're not kids anymore. We can cross streets by ourselves, and we won't take candy from strangers." I turned to leave, but Oscar grabbed my arm.

Oscar: "I said no! If something happens to you, it's my responsibility."

He paused, then continued in a calmer tone.

Oscar: "Look, I'm not trying to be a dick or something—"

Elly: "Well, try harder."

I was fuming. We had just met, and he was already trying to control me.

His expression hardened.

Amelie: "Can I say something?"

We both turned to her, surprised. I had almost forgotten she was there.