Chapter 19

Time crawled forward. A useless night passed, and it was another helpless day.

She felt as if she was being bled dry. Suppressing her anxiety, Lisa tucked her hair inside her cap. 4 days had already passed. What was the probability that Taehyung-oppa was still alive?

“If something goes wrong and I get caught, you must head straight for Luxembourg.”

Prepare for the worst. That’s what Taehyung had told her.

“No matter what, you must not come looking for me, Lisa. I’ll never forgive you if you do.”

Don’t forgive me. I’ll never leave you and run away on my own.

Lisa lowered her body in the dark and grit her teeth.

She recalled the day she first met Taehyung. It was during the spring after she had turned seven. She had come back from school, and there was an unfamiliar boy in the house. Long, monolid eyes. A pretty face that all the girls would envy. He looked like a prince from a fairytale. He stared at Lisa with wide eyes.

“This boy is my eldest son, Madame.”

WooKyung-ahjussi introduced Taehyung-oppa to Lisa and her mother. Her mother had turned pale and stiffly stared at Taehyung-oppa. Lisa realized then that something was a bit off with this situation. Taehyung’s eyes looked just like her mother’s.

“He’ll need to wear glasses.”

Her mother spoke out of nowhere. WooKyung-ahjussi said he understood and bowed his head. Taehyung-oppa averted his eyes. Even though it was spring, the wind was cold. She could smell the wintersweet flowers outside the window.

Lisa bit her lips to suppress the sudden ache in her chest.

Darkness surrounded her, and the silence was heavy. A thick night fog was floating above the ground. The houses surrounded in high brick walls looked like islands underneath the yellow lights of the streetlamps. Here and there, the lights of the security posts were shining as the police officers stood guard.

Lisa pushed up her sleeve and checked the time. It was 1:43 AM. A time when all of humankind was at their weakest.

– Lisa, can you hear me?

She heard Eun’s voice inside her ear. Lisa whispered back with ‘Yeah.’ before tightly shutting her mouth. A microphone was attached to a device on her shoulder, and a tiny bluetooth earphone was in her ear.

They had hurried through their preparations in the limited time they had, so this was the best they could do. However, there was one thing that gave Lisa an advantage. This was her childhood home. She knew this place inside and out. She could basically walk through the house with her eyes closed.

– Is everything okay, Lisa?

“Stay calm, Eun.”

Eun was extremely nervous. She was worried about Taehyung, but her anxiety shot through the roof when Lisa said she’d go into President Min’s house alone. But what else could they do? How could they call the police in this situation?

The thought of escaping Korea with Taehyung had long flown out of her mind. There was no other choice. She checked her equipment one more time. Huuu, Lisa breathed out and looked around.

The neighborhood of PyeongChang. It was home to the nation’s top political and business leaders. With a few taps of a keyboard, the neighborhood of PyeongChang was suddenly drowning in the loud ringing of an alarm.

Beep, beep, beep, beep!

They were coming from the house of the prime minister of Korea, the house of the CEO of Future Airlines, the house of TaeYang Construction… The alarm began to ring in every house in the neighborhood. The police officers began to panic and ran outside as they looked in every direction as they shouted.