Chapter 20

Within a few minutes, Jungkook and Lisa were sitting side-by-side in the back of an ambulance with a bloody Taehyung on a stretcher in front of them. There were no windows in the back of the ambulance, but they could tell that they had left the decimated neighborhood of PyeongChang. They could no longer hear the sound of alarms around them.

The vehicle jolted as it continued down the road. Suddenly, she felt a familiar feeling of the car moving downhill. Lisa then realized that they had just arrived at Jungkook’s house. Her body still remembered the place she called home for 2 years.

Everything felt unreal. The fact that Jungkook had appeared in that basement, the fact that she was returning to this house… She couldn’t believe any of it.

Ever the skillful butler, Sejin appeared and began to take care of Taehyung as he was taken off the ambulance. She didn’t know where he learned to do it, but Sejin injected a needle into Taehyung’s broken leg and skillfully applied a splint. Completely bewildered, Lisa could only watch.

After having received the emergency treatment, Taehyung was put on Lisa’s bed and fell into a deep sleep. Having devoted himself to Taehyung’s treatment, Sejin gathered his tools and left the room. Only Lisa was left by his side.

Jungkook was nowhere to be seen.

Lisa calmly looked down at Taehyung before shutting her eyes. She was exhausted, but sleep continued to evade her. Outside the window, the sky was faintly dark. The employees within the house were nowhere to be seen, leaving behind a thick silence.

She kept picturing Jungkook appearing in the doorway of the basement. She kept recalling how his murderous eyes had glared at her before moving to Taehyung.

“Because I don’t want to be separated from you.”

She remembered how he had looked when he said those words.

“No matter what happens, I don’t want to be separated from you. Is that enough of an answer for you?”

After he said those words, she injected him with the sedative and ran away. Lisa couldn’t imagine how Jungkook was feeling right now. What was he thinking…

“Ah…”

Lisa covered her face with both of her hands. She thought she was going to lose her mind at this rate. Her tears began to flow out between her fingers. These despicable tears. How pathetic were her tears right now?

She breathed in and raised her head. The pale moonlight shone on her wet cheeks. Now wasn’t the time to be crying like this. Lisa got up from her seat.

She heard the loud click of the door as it opened. As she walked along the corridor, she looked up at the ceiling as she always did. The red light of the recording surveillance camera was nowhere to be found. The house wasn’t being recorded right now.

She walked through the corridor and saw a light coming through the crack of a door. Lisa carefully approached the door. As expected, Jungkook was inside. He was still wearing the same clothing he had been wearing at President Min’s house. He was holding a glass of whisky in one hand.

How much did he drink?

The bottle of liquor in front of him was almost empty.

“Well, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

As if surprised to see her at his door, Jungkook scoffed as he raised the glass to his lips.

“The madame has decided to grace my room with her presence.”

Lisa didn’t say anything.

“Why don’t you go back and take good care of your dying lover?”

He turned his head back. Lisa stared at his back for a while before coming around to stand in front of him.