Chapter 36

Sitting on the lowest branch of the tree, I slouch back against the trunk and watch the idiots across the clearing as they put the finishing touches on their idyllic tree house

If Zac were here, he'd be laughing at them.

It's a futile attempt at safety in a land where nowhere is safe. I've seen Slayers in the trees, emerging from the water, appearing out of thin air. They're as well trained as we are. They've probably been killing for longer. 

A treehouse helps nothing.

Yawning, I look away, back towards Jordan across the clearing, kneeling on the mud. He's sharpening my knives, something he's done every single day since we've been here.

I bite my lip as I watch him slide the weapons back and forth, completely and utterly immersed in the job. He's distracting himself, I'm certain of it.

We've always been surrounded by so many people, but now our group has been picked apart so much that we're almost completely alone, more time left to overthink, reliving everything that's happened to us until now.

There's no doubt in my mind that he's thinking of the gorgeous, caring Claudia as he sharpens the weapons. He's remembering her laugh, how her eyes twinkled when she told us a joke, the way she'd always run to help anyone in need. Her long hair, standing at the same height as him, always hanging off his shoulder.

He's remembering how she was gunned down, neither one of them able to say goodbye to each other before her eyes turned glassy, blood pooling from her chest.

A lone tear falls down my cheek and I curse under my breath, wondering when the hell I'm going to be able to think of her without crying. I miss her every fucking day. I can't even imagine what Jordan is going through. How can he even bring himself to wake up each morning?

"Stop right there," a sudden yell erupts from one of Callum's men, every single one of them raising their guns at someone behind me. 

Wide eyed, I shift on the branch, turning to look through the trees behind me. My mouth drops open at the sight of the curly haired brunette, her hands raised in surrender as she stares fearfully down the barrel of four guns.

"Heidi!" I exclaim, instantly pushing myself off the branch and jumping down. "What are you doing here?"

Within seconds she's in my arms and we hug for the first time in a month. 

"Hey, Mils," she mumbles into my hair. 

"For fucks sake, put the fucking weapons down," Jordan snaps as we pull apart, glancing back at the camp. 

"You're not the boss of us," one of them argues.

Jordan smirks. "Callum isn't here today, so I think I fucking am," he counters before glancing towards us. "Heidi, it's good to see you!" he exclaims, walking over and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.