Chapter 46

It's dawn by the time we reach the forest campground that Emilia and the others were using while I stayed at the mansion with Gia and Poppy

Looking around, I cock an eyebrow at the broken remains of what appears to be a destroyed treehouse in the corner of the clearing. Has it been burnt?

Emilia scoffs at the sight of it before shaking her head with a grimace. I raise an eyebrow at her reaction but she doesn't spare me a glance. I'm not sure that she's even noticed that I'm looking at her.

"Fin?" Jordan barks out. One of the few guys standing five trees away raises his head, nodding at the sight of us. He steps over some logs, walking towards us. "Where is everyone?"

"Slayer attack," Fin explains with a subdued expression. "Lost three people. We had to move."

"Didn't I warn you?" Emilia huffs under her breath before rolling her eyes and crossing her arms. Then she turns away.

I frown. It's not like my wife to let something go so fast, especially when it surrounds the safety of people — doesn't matter who it is. She's despondent. Not entirely here with us.

Can't say I blame her.

"Why are you four still here?" Jordan asks, peering over the shoulder of the boy.

Fin shrugs before answering, "Believe it or not, Callum apparently values you. He wanted people to wait behind in case you survived."

I'm surprised, and I can tell by Jordan and Emilia's expressions that they are too. Poppy just smiles.

"Where did they go?" Poppy asks softly.

"The wall," Fin answers.

My stomach drops. "The wall," I echo. "Why?" I practically spit the final word out.

Fin shrugs once more. "He didn't see the point in waiting any longer."

"No..." Jordan breathes out. Poppy inhales, her eyes widening. Emilia just wanders behind Fin, stepping towards the other boys before rifling through their things.

My vision clouds with red and my hands reach out, grabbing onto Fin's collar and yanking him towards me. 

"What do you mean?" I snap.

Fear dances in his eyes. "He... he wants to get rid of it."

"The wall?" I clarify. Fin nods. Letting go of him, I roughly shove him away and turn to Poppy and Jordan, just as Emilia reappears with her rucksack slung onto her back. "He's going to fucking tear down the wall."

"But... like Gia said... the Slayers... They..." Poppy trails off, biting her lip. Her wide, worried eyes meet mine.

"Gia was right. You can't tear down the wall without a plan of action," I reply, looking around at the empty campground and running my hands through my hair. "We have to stop him."