Chapter 41

"It's fine," I insist, grimacing as the doctor wipes an antiseptic wipe over my wound all over again before inspecting it closely

"It's fine," I insist, grimacing as the doctor wipes an antiseptic wipe over my wound all over again before inspecting it closely. "Really."

Gia shakes her head and purses her lips. She's been like this ever since the attack yesterday. 

"It's always better to be safe than sorry," she murmurs. "I can't have you dying from infection now, can I?"

"She's right," Poppy pipes up from the seat in the corner of the white room, her legs tucked up to her chest as she smiles at me.

I don't reply, instead watching the doctor as he fusses around me, telling Gia that it's not looking as good as it did yesterday and that it's best to stitch it up instead. As he gets to work, I grit my teeth through the pain, looking up at the bright ceiling light to distract me. It's glowing. A yellow tint to it... almost like Emilia's hair...

Wow, I'm desperate.

I grit my teeth, returning my eyes to the medical room around me.

"How many men did you lose?" Poppy asks.

Gia purses her lips. "Eleven," she answers. "But it would have been a lot more without the two of you."

I swallow the lump in my throat and look down at the wound on my arm. The doctor plunges the needle back into my skin. "You're welcome," I force myself to mutter.

"Do you see now?" Gia exclaims. "This is why everything is going to take time. There's no way in hell that we can even try to let the South interact with the North... or vice versa. It would be an utter bloodbath."

She's right.

I've learned more here than the others probably have visiting the East and West of England. There's no way that Callum is tearing that wall down. I'll die trying to stop him.

"But you two know that anyway, don't you?" Gia continues. "You were living it."

"Yeah," Poppy replies softly.

Gia turns towards me. "What did Emilia think?"

"What?" I'm surprised by the question.

Gia smirks. "Did she prefer the North or the South?"

"I have no fucking idea," I snap, wrenching my arm away from the doctor the minute he ties the final knot.

The North. She prefers the North. Who wouldn't?

"Where is she now, Zac?" Gia asks, leaning back against the wall.

"How the hell would I know?" I argue.

Gia shrugs. "I'm just curious," she answers. "Your friends caused me a lot of problems back in the North."

"Well, you caused them a lot of problems too," I counter. She raises a brow, crossing her arms over her chest.