Chapter 19

"Oh my God-" Emilia exclaims, her words cut off as Bridget jumps into her arms

"Oh my God-" Emilia exclaims, her words cut off as Bridget jumps into her arms. Anna quickly reaches out too, already a bawling mess as she loops her arms around our missing friend.

"No fucking way," Jordan mutters, shaking his head at the sight in front of him. I continue to stare, absolutely dumbfounded at the ridiculous revelation. I always imagined that Bridget was dead, or at least imprisoned in one of the Northern prisons - yet still probably far away from Nottingham.

Apparently, just like my thoughts regarding my sisters, I got it completely wrong.

Bridget is here, she's alive, and she looks healthier than the day she went missing. What the fuck?

Bridget soon pulls back from the two weeping girls, slowly turning to Jordan and I before jumping towards us. My usual hostile rejection is thrown out of the window and I wind my arm around the girl who had become like a sister to me. I'm in complete disbelief that she's actually here right now. Alive.

"You're all here," Bridget exclaims as she steps away, glancing at all of us. "Where's Claudia? Kieran?" She grins. I swallow the lump in my throat, noticing as Emilia tears up, sadness clouding her eyes. "What?"

Bridget looks directly at Jordan, my best friend's expression instantly dropping at the mention of his fallen wife. Anna's lip trembles from the question and her gaze also moves to the ground, trying to conceal her emotions. Both casualties are still red raw, the mere mention of either of them being something that none of us can quite cope with. I wonder if it will ever get any easier...

"No," Bridget almost yells, her voice cracking. "You're wrong!"

"We're not," I manage to say, my voice hoarse.

"You must be!"

"We saw both of them happen," Anna spits through gritted teeth. "What's done is done."

"But... they..." Bridget trails off, slapping her hand over her mouth as she lets out a sob. "They're family..."

Emilia reaches out, grabbing onto the blonde girl and pulling her in for a hug. Bridget buries her head into my wife's shoulder as she cries it out like the rest of us want to.

"I know," Emilia assures her before pausing and glancing across at Anna and Jordan, tears in her eyes. "They still are," she promises and I nod in agreement.

They always will be.

*~*~*

"So..." Anna trails off straight away, stretching her hands along the surface of the table before quickly shaking her head and looking away. She's obviously unsure how to begin asking the shit load of questions that are paralysing us as we sit across the table from Bridget.

Emilia sighs, sitting up straighter and staring across the table at the tear-streaked, worse-for-wear looking Bridget.

Half an hour of explaining what happened to Claudia, Kieran and Riley, we now sit at one of the cafeteria tables, ignoring the many people in the room. Instead, we stare at Bridget for answers.