Chapter 45

"How can you say that everything is going to be okay?" Heidi cries, furiously wiping her hands over her face to get rid of the tears that coat her cheeks

"How can you say that everything is going to be okay?" Heidi cries, furiously wiping her hands over her face to get rid of the tears that coat her cheeks. "Nothing is okay about any of this."

"Heidi—"

"No!" she cuts me off. "Everyone I know is dead. Everything I ever had is gone! But you think it's all going to be okay?" She scoffs.

"No," I admit. "I'm not saying that will be okay, Heidi. I have no idea what lies ahead of us. But I do know that this new State may help us all."

"Really?" She looks doubtful.

I shrug. "Someone had to take control of the North. Maybe they'll bring law and order back, schools and jobs, even holidays," I nudge her shoulder, "and someday... maybe we'll all be able to move on from the war."

"Maybe," she mutters, dropping her head back to her knees. Her curly hair falls all around her, covering both her jeans and little pink top.

"I'm sure this big old communal house is just a short term solution." I gesture around us at the bedroom we've been forced to share. The Girls' House, they're calling it. I'm trying to see the positives. We've all been given a roof over our heads. "They needed to do something with the teenagers."

"I guess," she sniffles.

Walking towards her, I slowly settle on the floor next to her and lean back against her bed. With a small smile, I pull a bread roll out of my pocket and hand it over. She looks up, blinking her bright blue eyes at me, clearly surprised.

"You think I'd let you go hungry?" I smile as she takes a small bite. "Just because you didn't come to dinner, doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you."

"Thank you," Heidi mumbles.

I nod, reaching up and hooking my arm around her shoulder. "And as for losing everyone?" I murmur. She looks at me. "I'm the same. My entire family is gone," I pause. "But now at least we have each other. And I promise that we always will."

She smiles at that, looking down at her bread. "We barely know each other, you might not even like me," she comments.

I shrug. "Some siblings hate each other," I remind her.

She laughs. "That's true," she agrees. "They also argue."

"Absolutely." I smile, nudging her shoulder. "But sisters always apologise to each other after a while."

"After a while," she repeats before going quiet. "I don't want to lose another family, Emilia."

I sit upright, turning and shaking my head at her. "You won't. We'll always have each other. We're going to protect one another," I promise.