Chapter 47

Zac's head is going to explode

Any minute now, it's going to internally combust. Especially if he clenches his teeth any harder. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

In approximately ten seconds he's going to act recklessly — launch himself towards us with no care for anything other than saving me. He'll probably kill himself in the process.

And I can't let that happen.

I'm gritting my teeth when Callum's grip tightens on my hair, tugging my head back and exposing more of my bare throat to the blade that he ripped from his trousers the second I got too close to him.

I should have guessed.

We have so many enemies, and even those who are on our side are tainted from the inside out. They're hardly the same person they were before the war, hell, before we started our journey North from London.

War changes people.

And for no good reason.

Callum's desperate. He wants to be the leader, he wants everyone to do what he says. He thinks he knows the best way forward, the only way forward. And it's changed him.

For no good reason.

If he continues, he'll only get more paranoid, more determined, more narrow minded.

After all, right now he has a knife to my throat, all because Zac and I want to reconsider tearing down the only thing keeping anarchy from spreading far and wide across the entire fucking country. There's enough separate anarchy to last a lifetime in two of the sectors... who knows what it's like beyond that?

Callum cannot be allowed to lead anyone.

And it's hardly like Zac is going to let him live after this...

No. Zac's going to get himself killed saving me unless I do something to help myself fast.

A sudden pin prick stings my neck and I realise with horror that Callum has broken the skin. I flinch as I feel a sliver of warm liquid trail down towards my chest.

Zac's eyes are black, full of rage as he steps closer.

It's now or never, Emilia.

With a jolt, I lean as far as I can into Callum's shoulder, leaving mere inches between the knife and my skin before jumping up and to the right, sending my head straight into his chin. The knife travels down my collarbone, slicing through the delicate skin, but I hardly notice.

Instead, I'm distracted by the way my head throbs as it bounces away from Callum's. He hisses, stumbling backwards and falling to his knees, arms outstretched just as I whirl on my heel towards him. Reaching forward, I tear the blade from his grip and turn it in my hand before winding my spare fingers through his long, dark hair. Lifting my arm back, I place one foot behind the other — getting a good swing on it — before pummelling forwards and piercing the weapon straight through his stomach.