Chapter 25

I sit in the chair opposite Emilia, completely unable to keep my eyes away from her tight navy top

I sit in the chair opposite Emilia, completely unable to keep my eyes away from her tight navy top. Heidi and her are chatting about God-knows-what before Anna sits beside them and instantly joins in.

Jordan is silent beside me, peering over the map on the table. It's the same one I was analysing three mornings ago before I got distracted by my feisty blonde. Myles suddenly appears beside me, slouching down in a chair.

"What's this about?" he asks and I shrug.

"Hopefully some sort of plan. Maybe Callum is ready to sort this shit out," I mutter and Sam nods, joining us at the table.

"I've been worrying about Kayla all night," he says and I shake my head.

"Kayla's smarter than we think," I tell them, somewhat lying in my attempt to calm them down. The last words of Jace have been running through my head ever since Emilia told me what happened between Bridget and Lyla. We've left someone untrustworthy behind, someone who may well be in alliance with my fucking older sister.

"Take care of Kayla."

It was one simple instruction. And by leaving her behind, I've done the complete opposite.

"I thought we were smart, but we never realised Lyla was a fucking snitch," Anna retorts from across the table.

"We don't know that for sure," Emilia tries and Anna shrugs, shaking her head.

"When will you learn?" Anna mutters. "We can't trust anyone."

"That's silly. Are you saying you don't trust Myles?" Heidi argues and Anna crosses her arms.

"I don't know who I trust," she admits and I grit my teeth, understanding her every word. It's been a tough six years, every single one eating into any kind of so-called trust we have for anything and everyone.

The door suddenly opens. The larger-than-life Callum storms inside with five men behind him, Poppy, Bridget and Lola sliding in at the end.

"Good, you're all here," Callum says, quickly grabbing the seat at the head of the table.

"Yes." Anna sits back in her chair. "We were on time."

"My apologies," Callum answers. He gestures towards my sister and Lola as they take a seat at the enormous table. "I asked Poppy, Bridget and Lola to be here seeing as they know you, plus Bridget and Lola have experience in the North."

"Fine with me," Anna replies.

"So you trust them?" Heidi snaps at the girl. Anna merely rolls her eyes and I grit my teeth at their ridiculous exchange. Why does it matter?

"Can we get on with this?" Jordan practically snaps at the girls. Heidi slumps back in her chair before nodding. Callum raises an eyebrow before turning his projector on. I'm almost taken aback when the familiar looking map shows up on the wall behind him, suddenly feeling like I'm back in the damn classroom at school.