Chapter 44

Reaching out, I grab onto Emilia's arm and yank her back towards the group

Reaching out, I grab onto Emilia's arm and yank her back towards the group. She's standing in their direct line, like a fucking lamb to the slaughter.

There are only 5 of us, compared to the incalculable Slayers which are pouring into the courtyard, their eyes on us and only us.

No Enforcers in sight.

I grit my teeth at the realisation that letting the Slayers inside has been part of a calculated decision Gia has made to stop us from escaping. I have to tip my hat off to her, this is a pretty aggressive and convenient way to get rid of her problem.

I should never have expected that we'd only be facing Enforcers and Gia when trying to escape.

After all, my sister never plays fair.

This is nothing new for us, but it doesn't matter how many times we do this, the panic claws at my chest every damn time, utterly terrified that we won't make it out the other side.

But there's no time to think about that now...

Lifting my gun in front of me, I quickly aim for the Slayer at the front of the group before pulling my trigger. He instantly falls to the ground and I shoot another, as fast as I can. 

The others are doing the same, yet the Slayers are getting closer and closer, not enough of us to hinder their assault towards us. Cursing out loud, I step forward, dodging one of the spears that's shoved towards me and instead turning it back on the Slayer and stabbing it into his ribs.

Emilia steps around me and I grit my teeth at the sight of my visibly wounded wife engaging in battle. She's still just as quick with her steps, the way she dips and swerves out of the way highlighting how much skill she's truly developed since we first got together.

I remember teaching her self defence in the warehouse back in the North, the way she couldn't even throw a punch or stay steady on her feet. It was almost laughable, given the type of society that we lived in.

But she was so eager to learn, far greater than I ever gave her credit for.

When I was freed from the prison, the change in her was visible from the very moment I saw her throw her first knife.

But now, as I watch her let go of a dagger that firmly embeds itself in someone's chest, I know that Emilia is a weapon in her own right. There's no way I would be where I am without her, no chance in hell that half of us would have survived until now.

She's radiates power, the only girl who could ever have me falling to my knees. Her long blonde hair whips around her as she continues to fight, her eyes wide with destruction, mouth yelling out as she slices one of the Slayers' swords across their own neck.

It's like I'm watching a movie scene, smack bang in the middle of the action as she effortlessly massacres her way through the killers. Blood splatters up her arms and legs but she doesn't notice, stepping over the bodies with a sword in each hand to take on the next Slayer.