Chapter 22

"I

"I..." I trail off, completely unsure what to say to the gorgeous brunette in front of me.

I was always scared of her when we were growing up; the beautiful older girl who only ever saw me as her brother's fling. She ruled the school when we first started there, four years older than us with every single teacher wrapped around her finger. She left the place straight after Year 11 finished, completely disappearing out of everyone's life.

I knew only what being Rayden's girlfriend allowed me to know... seeing her in their house with numerous guys before heading out for a late shift at one of the restaurants in the Market Square.

She fell in love with a boy from Birmingham when she was nineteen, moving away with him and leaving Nottingham behind. Rayden wasn't bothered, and frankly nor was I, the two of us using the extra freedom of less people in his house to our advantage.

"I can't believe you're alive," I tell her and she shakes her head.

"Me neither," Lola replies, smiling softly. "Ray?"

"You were in the North..." I trail off, conveniently changing the subject, but also desperate to know how she got here.

"A lot happened between then and now," she answers, looking down at her hands, the smile falling. "I haven't had it easy."

"Me neither," I tell her and she nods, looking around at the bustling room.

"Then again, I don't think anyone has."

"That's true."

"So?" she questions, crossing her arms and looking behind me once more. "Did you make it here with other people? How's Ray?"

"A few of us came from the North," I answer, gesturing for her to follow me out of the crowded room. She furrows her eyebrow at the suggestion, clearly unsure why I want to move away from the happy, busy space.

After a few seconds of hesitation, she nods, falling in step beside me as we leave the cafeteria and head to the corridor. I walk over to the side, taking a seat on the uncomfortable-looking white bench and waiting for Lola to join.

I feel, rather than see, her settle on the wood. Taking a deep breath, I try to prepare myself to break the heartbreaking news.

"What has it been? Six years?" Lola asks softly. I nod.

"Around that."

"You were a lot younger back then."

"You too," I reply. "Didn't you live in the West?"

"Yeah," Lola replies, looking down at her lap. "It's been years since I was there."

"Your boyfriend?"

"He thinks I'm dead," she answers, her voice cracking slightly in the middle.

"He's alive?" I ask and she nods. "How do you know?"