Chapter 29

I shake my head, stepping forward once more and edging slightly to the right, eyes fixed on the monstrosity of a house

I shake my head, stepping forward once more and edging slightly to the right, eyes fixed on the monstrosity of a house. It's relatively dark and ominous... but that could just be from the pure fact it's the dead of night. The windows are extravagant and large, clearly old fashioned and giving the house a Georgian feel. 

I inch further around the wall, letting my eyes trail up and down the length of it. It's clearly reinforced; there's no way for anyone from this side to get in, yet it's on a smaller scale than the main wall up north. What is this place?

I stumble against a log, losing my balance and almost falling head first into the electrified fence before I manage to regain my composure and stand back upright. My heart is in my throat at the near death experience, this entire night turning into a complete nightmare. What if I never get back to Zac and the others? Lost in the South with the Slayers and whatever fucked up shit is in front of me.

Paying more attention to where I place my feet, I proceed with caution, stopping every five steps to look through the bars to the world beyond. Each time, I begin to see more of the house, the moon illuminating it differently from the varying angles. It's definitely an old Georgian mansion, one that avoided the war and subsequent destruction by Slayers, passing the test of time and living to see this messed up, obliterated society.

I can't tear myself away, even though I know that I should be running head first back into the forest to avoid the Slayers and apparent Enforcers. Curiosity over what's going on here has taken over, ruling out all common sense and urging me on.

Looking back at the mud on the floor, I move forward once more before stopping and turning my body back towards the house. Peering through the fence, I let my eyes trail over the dark window on the bottom floor before scanning to the one above. 

I freeze at the sight that greets me, my mouth dropping open in shock. A strange nausea bubbles inside me and I'm unsure whether it's from fear or panic. I'm completely lost for words, unsure how to even process what I'm seeing, let alone force my feet to move again.

They're one of the last people I would expect to see down here, confusion swirling around my brain. Regaining awareness of myself, I hesitantly put my foot forward, walking ever so slightly nearer to the bars to get a closer look. Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me?

The sight doesn't change, the person doesn't morph into anyone else, and unless they have a secret fucking twin, nothing is adding up right now.

What possible explanation can there be? This house is surrounded by a wall around three of its four sides before the wall stretches into the distance, not allowing me to walk the entire way around. Either it's a ridiculously huge back garden, or it connects straight to the North.

Which, now, apparently makes sense. I watch the person in the window shake their brunette hair over their shoulders before laughing at someone behind them.