Chapter 10

It snowed all fucking night, making it pretty much impossible to walk anywhere, especially as not a single one of us are equipped with waterproof trousers

Luckily it isn't too deep, only our feet covered as we traipse away from the pharmacy and towards the south. Only a mile was covered yesterday, what with an injured Heidi between us.

She had an hour-long argument this morning with both Sam and Emilia, correctly telling them that we couldn't stay where we were any longer, worried that Slayers might find us. Her husband and my wife didn't want her to move, her stitches so fresh and fragile. Even Myles was unsure what to do.

Heidi won in the end, spitting out brutal words to remind us that if we hang around for any longer, we'll all be needing fucking stitches after Slayers rip us apart. It's a fair point.

We're taking it slow, heading straight for the trees in order to be covered from any prowling eyes. Every one of us is armed and ready, just in case.

Heidi and Emilia are walking hand in hand ahead of me, talking about some shit related to their hair. It could be make-up for all I know, the two of them descending into giggles every couple of minutes. All the while, Emilia makes sure Heidi is walking slowly, pointing out every uneven section of ground, the snow making it almost impossible.

She may try to act brave, but I know my wife like the back of my hand. The absolute terror she felt over potentially losing Heidi yesterday was immeasurable, her eyes giving everything away as soon as she looked at me.

I worried over how the fight yesterday had affected her. Emilia ran over, her face covered in blood as she threw herself down next to Heidi and screamed. The sight is something that will haunt me forever. No-one should ever have to see the person they love in that state, having just fought for their life, the dark red splatters proof of how close she came to potential death.

My foot sinks into the snow as I slowly follow the girls, hanging back slightly to have a break from their chatter. I may love the girl, but listening to how she misses her favourite strawberry body lotion for over fifteen minutes is enough to drive me fucking insane.

"Hey." Jordan steps up beside me.

"Hey," I reply, nodding at him.

"We haven't really had time to speak since you... came back to life."

I laugh at his words. "I know," I say. "Life is fucking chaotic."

"It's a bloody mess."

"Thanks by the way," I reply and he raises an eyebrow questioningly. "For getting Emilia to the South. Even though it's a fucking shitshow."

"You would have done the same for Claudia." Jordan smiles and I inhale sharply at the mention of his fallen wife.

"How... how are you doing?"