Chapter 5

Zac's grip tightens around me as soon as the blade presses into Anna's neck

Zac's grip tightens around me as soon as the blade presses into Anna's neck. The hairs on my arms are on end, nausea swimming in my stomach as I watch, unsure what I can even do.

Jen and Myles warned us that this was what the South was like but we foolishly ignored their warnings and acted like idiots. We completely forgot the conversation that we had only three hours earlier. The one where we decided that someone should always be alert. Idiots.

As soon as Zac stepped back into our lives, our guard dropped completely, all of us instead relishing in the mere fact that he's alive. Apparently we don't have the luxury of doing that anymore...

And now Anna is going to die, none of us able to do a single damn thing without risking her life. Kieran's hands shake as he grips onto his gun, eyes staring directly at his sister who's facing death with nothing but a quivering lip, her arms hanging limply at her sides.

How much death can any of us take in one fucking life? I don't think I can deal with much...

We needn't have worried.

Anna's foot suddenly slams down on top of her captor's before she reaches up, yanking his hand away from her neck. She twists his arm behind him before any of us can realise what's happening.

Within seconds, the knife is in her own hand as she reaches up behind him, sliding the blade across the thin skin of his throat. I guess the training she's done over the last few years really has prepared her for war.

Gargling on his own blood, the man quickly falls to the floor, Myles springing into action and firing a bullet into one of the men beside him, Jen's spear landing swiftly in the other's chest.

"Fuck!" Kieran exclaims as soon as he falls. Jen walks over, wrenching the spear from the man's chest as Anna stares wordlessly down at the bloody mess in front of her. Rivulets of dark red splatters cover her face.

"I... I-"

"You had no choice!" Heidi inputs, running over towards Anna and wrapping her arm around the shell-shocked looking girl.

"She's right." Jen shrugs. "They would have killed all of us."

"Did you call them Slayers?" Zac asks, wrapping his arm around me once more, pulling me back against his chest.

"Yeah," Jen replies. "That's basically what they are."

"What?"

"The South isn't what we thought it might be," I tell him softly, looking up and placing my hand on his cheek. "There's no government or State here."

"Shit..." Zac breathes out.

"Anna?" Kieran says, walking over and wrapping his arm around his sister as Heidi lets go. "Are you okay?" he asks. No words leave her mouth as she nods against his shoulder.