Chapter 48

I let out an exasperated sigh before dropping to my knees and helping Poppy refill her bag

I let out an exasperated sigh before dropping to my knees and helping Poppy refill her bag. She grumbles under her breath and I nod in agreement, wanting nothing more than to wrap my arms around Zac's neck.

I know the gravity of the situation and that we need to move sooner rather than later. And, in his mind, leaving us to follow behind them, was the right thing to do. The fastest thing to do.

The minute Zac leaves me behind, you know it's serious.

"Let's get going then," I grumble to Poppy. She pouts before nodding as we step into the trees after our family. We're speed walking for three minutes before jogging for five, alternating our speed in order to not completely annihilate me.

Gia's imprisonment has taken a higher toll on me than I ever could have realised.

I'm a fucking hindrance.

Gritting my teeth, I grab one of my knives from my trousers, twirling it over and over in my hand as we walk. Poppy glances towards me, sympathy evident on her face.

"We're making good progress," she says softly. "We're probably only fifteen minutes behind them."

"Fifteen minutes is a long time—"

"When someone's planting explosives and getting ready to blow England into the United Kingdom?" Poppy smirks. "I know. But you can only do so much. We're human."

"And yet Zac—"

"Zac's running on adrenaline," she retorts. "He'll need help the minute that drains away from him. By you resting slightly more now, you can be there for him when he needs it."

I cock a brow. "You think that's why he left us behind?"

Poppy snorts. "Hell, no! That man does think he's invincible. It's stupidity at play."

I stifle a smirk and nod. "That's true."

Poppy smiles, lifting her leg and leaping over a log. "I know. You're both as bad as each other."

My head snaps towards her. "Hey!"

"I say only what I see," Poppy teases with a smile. "You ready to run again?"

She doesn't even give me a chance to respond before she launches into the forest, leaving me — seething — behind. Narrowing my eyes at her back, I push forward, jogging at a safe, but steady, pace.

The wall emerges on the horizon before we have to slow to a walk again and I exhale with relief, pushing my weakened legs onwards with newfound determination. Zac's somewhere here... and so are Callum's sheep.

We made it.

We made it before they blew it up. That in itself is a damn miracle.

I come to a stop besides Poppy. Leaning over, I place my hands on my knees and wheeze in, and out, desperate to catch my breath — and fast.