Chapter 30

"Emilia's right," Jordan says, stepping into the trees, back towards us

"Emilia's right," Jordan says, stepping into the trees, back towards us. "The wall seems to stretch for miles."

"So it connects to the North?" Callum asks and Jordan shrugs.

"I can't be certain."

"There's only one way to find out," I answer, instantly reaching down and hauling my backpack over my shoulders.

"What are you doing?" Emilia exclaims and I sigh, not daring to look down at her bruised and battered face. The memory of two night's ago is still prominent in my mind, angering me every single time I remember it.

"Following the fence," I mutter.

"What if they spot you?" Poppy exclaims and I shake my head. As if I'd let that happen.

"I'll stay under the cover of the trees."

"You aren't going alone," Emilia snaps, grabbing her own bag from beside her feet.

"Oh, hell no," I retort, yanking the rucksack from her hands. "You would benefit from another day of taking it easy."

"I'll go," Jordan offers and I nod in relief. Emilia needs to stay behind. The bloody idiot is determined to get herself killed, and take me down with her. I step closer to my wife, laying a quick kiss on her forehead.

"See?" I tell Emilia with a fake smile. "I'll be fine."

"I'll go too," Poppy pipes up, stepping forward, her bag already on her back.

"Absolutely not."

"Why?"

"Because it's dangerous," I snap, glaring at the second idiotic girl I've had to deal with. Seriously? Are they fucking stupid? I need them here. Safe.

Poppy scoffs. "Please tell me which part of this entire operation isn't dangerous? From the minute we left London, it was a free for all."

I falter, grinding my teeth. I'm utterly unable to come up with a good fucking reason to stop her from joining us. I tense my jaw even harder to stop a barrel of curse words from tumbling out. Shrugging, I turn away, looking to Emilia once more.

"It makes me feel better that two people will be with you," she admits softly and I smile at her innocent eyes, knowing that she's trying to appease me.

"Don't leave Callum's sight, alright?" I tell Emilia and she rolls her eyes.

"I'm more than capable of looking after myself, Zac."

"I know," I reply. "That doesn't mean I trust him," I say quietly and she nods, slowly placing her hands over the knives in her waistband. She's telling me she understands, that I need her to watch Callum's every move and protect our tribe. I nod, stepping back as Bridget loops her arm over Emilia's shoulder.