Chapter 17 - Are You Afraid To Confront The Truth?

The morning was lovely, or should I say, my noon. I spent my morning taking Ice out for a walk, playing with Midnight, having breakfast with my parents and then getting ready to meet Cat and Andre who decided they wanted to get brunch.
"So, can you remind me why y'all decided to bring me this high off the ground just to eat some fucking avocados on eggs?" I asked passive aggressively, slipping on my sunglasses.
"Chill, this place has the best view in New York City that doesn't charge you 50 bucks a piece of egg. Enjoy it while you can because lunch hour will come soon and you'll have to deal with a bunch of suit and ties." Andre laughed, leading us to a table in the corner of the roof that was under a large umbrella.
"Wow! Now, this is a view!" Cat gasped with a large grin. We took a seat and a waiter came and left us some menus before swiftly making his way to the other customers.
"Yeah, anyway. I'm quite tired and I feel like the only way I can function throughout this slight hangover is to drink a bit more." I shrugged, skimming through the menu.
"I think I'll stick to an old fashioned cup of Jo." Andre chuckled.
"Oh my gosh, they're selling rainbow pancakes!" Cat squealed excitedly before calling the waiter over to our table.
The waiter waltzed over to our table and efficiently got our orders with speed and attention before leaving to prepare our orders.
"So, how you feelin', Jade?" Andre asked, placing his glasses aside on the table and turning his phone screen-side down, giving me his undivided attention.
"I-I don't know if I even wanna deal with that shit right now." I scoffed, leaning back on my chair.
"Come on, Jade. You know, when I have trouble dealing with my problems, I like to talk to people that can actually understand what I'm going through," Cat responded calmly.
"Cat, that's actually really good advice." I said, peering at her over my glasses.
"Oh, thank you. My brother told me the same advice when I told him about the whole Tori and Sam issue while he was gardening." Cat gloated with a proud smirk before thanking the waiter when he brought our orders.
"Wait, what? I didn't know your brother was into plants and flowers." I stated, furrowing my brows in confusion.
"Oh. He's not."Cat whispered cautiously before taking a sip from her coffee like nothing happened.
"Right.. Anyway, Jade you said some pretty concerning things. Don't you wanna talk about it?" Andre pushed, taking a bite out of his breakfast pasta.
"Fine," I groaned giving in. I lit up a cigarette and took a good puff before dropping the bomb.
"He was the dude that broke into my house before I was kidnapped back in L.A."
"WHAT?!" Cat and Andre simultaneously asked. I just nodded before taking another puff and then a sip from my very cold strawberry Mojito.
"Jade, this dude can be very dangerous! What if he's still talking to your dad?" Andre was flaring up in anger and concern, almost knocking his plate over, but he remained calm and regained his composure.
"I need to tell Sam about this. She's got friends in the city and you're not safe. If you won't tell Jacob or your mom or the police, the least you can do is let Sam help!" Cat chastised.
"I don't know. I don't wanna worry any one. It doesn't seem like much, but it is weird that he's here." I mumbled with a shrug before taking a puff.

"You saw your father's associate?" Doctor Liam asked, confirming my statement with his soft Australian accent.
"Yes. Though, I don't like referring to James as my father." I sighed, crossing my legs and gripping on my warm tea at the horrific images that came with the sound of his name.
"I see. Are you not even the least concerned about this event? Not even wanting to tell your parents?" He questioned.
"Nope. If it gets worse or life-threatening, I'll let them know, but for now there's no need to worry anyone." I chuckled, taking a sip from my tea.
"Is that what's holding you back from potentially saving yourself or not? The unavoidable worry of loved ones?" The doctor asked.
Our eyes met once he asked that, and for a moment I felt like we had connected and the vulnerability was dying to come out of the walls I had built around it since Los Angeles.
"I don't know."I muttered, breaking our gaze.
"That's okay, Jade. But, do you really not know or are you afraid to confront the truth?" He asked, once again tugging at my heart strings and making me well up with those perfectly chosen words. I looked up at him and placed my mug on the coffee table in between us before taking a deep breath.
"Back in Los Angeles, this man, Vincent or whatever.. he broke into our house. My Mom was alone. She didn't get hurt, but it was the events after that that ended up hurting her. A while after, James had called me, " I took in a deep breath to calm myself down before continuing, not letting my voice quiver any more than it already did. "He - He wanted to meet up with me, for old time's sake. My Mom told me not to see him, but I didn't listen because of all the feelings the little girl inside me felt. He had kidnapped me with his stupid friends. He held me in replacement of money. Money he owed them, not me, him. Not only was I held sitting there as replacement. My body was replacement. They touched me the way no one should ever do or have done unto them. They did things that I'll never fucking forget. All during that time, my Mom was worried. She couldn't sleep knowing her only child was in the hands of someone who harmed that child in the past and is doing it again. She couldn't eat not knowing if I was still alive or not. So, no. I don't wanna fucking bring all those emotions back and all that trauma in her again." I whispered, the tears of despair and anger finally rolling down my cheeks when I furrowed my brows in rage.
"I understand, what you went through was completely terrible and I would never wish it upon my worst enemy, Jade." Doctor Liam sighed, closing his binder and looking up at me with sympathy in his brown eyes.