Unpleasantville

"let me take a moment to point out the glaringly obvious. humans are idiots." - B. Justin Shier

 Justin Shier

Thea had once more, woken up in her own bed

Thea had once more, woken up in her own bed. Unlike every other time though, she still had company this morning. Her back was held tightly against a warm chest, and an arm was wrapped possessively around her middle. She closed her eyes again, savouring how well their bodies fit together for just another instant, before turning around.

He was still sleeping. Must have been way too tired out by the previous day's events. He looked angelic almost, she thought to herself. Every frown line had eased, and his expression was peaceful, as though nothing could touch him in his dreams. She found herself wondering if that was what human Damon looked like all the time, before Katherine had arrived and changed his world. She wanted to hold him close, to protect him from anything that could hurt him, but she couldn't. For the sake of her own safety, for the well-being of her heart, she had to let him go. She was already far too attached, she knew she'd fallen for him, and that once he got his girl out of the tomb, he'd leave town and she'd be left with a broken heart.

She must have been staring at him for longer than she thought, because when her gaze refocused, she found two icy eyes gazing back at her. Smiling softly, she reached over and brushed the hair away from his forehead, before nuzzling back into him. "I know we're supposed to go back to the real world," she whispered into his skin, "but just give me five more minutes of pretending that nothing's wrong. Just five more minutes of feeling safe, and then we can both go back to our lives."

His arm tightened around her waist, while his other hand came up and dug into her hair, holding her. She realised, she'd never felt more precious or cared for, than when he held her in his arms, as though she was a treasure, something far too valuable to be let out. That cord of theirs crackled with static, quiet and gentle, but buzzing enough for her to feel it. With a groan, his raspy morning voice flooded her ears, "You've got school, Angel."

The girl looked at her alarm clock, which was conveniently situated behind him and directly in her line of sight, before shrugging dismissively, "I only go as a formality. I've had all the credits necessary to graduate since I was 14, but I wanted one normal experience in life so..."