16// Wet Bed Sheets

Jesse was high on marijuana when I called, so his directions were vague.

I slid into my pink slip dress. My hair was wet, and dripping because of a shower I had taken. I dripped the rose perfume that made me feel divine. My eyeliner was ghostly, and smeared below my eyes.

I got into my car, and drove off. It was cold; but a blanket and a black jacket layed in the back.

The roads felt so abandoned at this time. Night time always felt like my time, and it made me feel alone that there weren't people more like that. Those who liked the dark.

I drove, and used the directions Jesse had given me. I had written them on a small piece of lined paper I put in my ash tray.

The drive wasn't as long as expected, and lost control of my feelings once I knew I was getting close.

I arrived at the turn to his neighbourhood.

Two story, surrounded by palm trees, and a tan color with a big black door.

Jesse was too high to remember the house number at the time of when I asked him. I barely knew him, but weed was probably one of his closest companion.

All the houses looked like they were built in the seventies, and they were all lined with grass, and white and gold trees with soft leaves. Some had rose bushes.

The one in the end stood there like an omen, and I was afraid to get closer. It fit Jesse's description.

I took off my cardigan to prevent myself from getting too hot.

I sat on the cold leather seat for a moment longer. I had to think about what I would say.

Thought you might need some company.

We both have nothing to do.

Wanted to see you, babe.

I hadn't even called him babe yet. What the fuck was I thinking?

I should have brought some nice alcohol, and would wave it in his face when he answered the door like chicks did in movies or television shows.

I didn't feel like driving right now, though.

I stayed still for a few minutes. Then that turned into almost an hour. Almost an hour of just staring at nothing.

I remembered a man walking by and staring at me as he walked, probably thinking I was baked.

I turned on the radio, and began to listen to latest independent music that the radio was laying out. It eased my pain. It felt so quiet that I began to fall asleep, but was awoken by the very faint sound of yelling. I put on some cheap sunglassed I found below my foot, and peered out the window.

A bottom light in the large house flickered on. I slid back farther in my seat so I was hidden by the shadow.

Nothing happened after that.

I saw Zach's car in the driveway, but besides it was a car that was familiar, but I couldn't recognize. It wasn't Jesse's.

I forgot it, and inspected myself in the mirror. My bottom lip was still slightly cut, and a little swollen.

I debated putting makeup on, but decided not to. I wanted to look natural for once.

My vain thoughts became interrupted once more when the door was opened to Zach's house.

A girl came out of the house. Her makeup smeared, and her face damp. I figured it was that girl who was at the last party, the one Jesse told to leave. It must have been Lo or whatever her name was.