23// Thanksgiving

We made love that night like we wanted to. That was the only time we did it that week, but it was perfect. The way he made me feel; like a pink pearl from an oyster.

The angry thoughts of hunger and purging, of cutting and blood began to diminish. They weren't dying like the other times. This time their deaths felt serious.

Thanksgiving came. My parents were coming.

"They'll hate me" Zach said as he ran his hand through his hair that was now longer in length, as he stared at every scar and every inch of skin that could be a flaw in the eyes of someone unknown.

It made him look so California. It gave him the allure I was always attracted to ever since I washed up in this state.

"Do you have anything to wear that isn't black?" I said.

He turned around to look at me. He eyed me up and down. I could tell he liked the way I looked. The way the black velvet top fell off my shoulders. The way the shiny black disco pants hugged my legs.

"What's wrong with black?"

I smiled at him.

"They don't want any boy to be like me. Wearing black would indicate that I've found myself someone that's like me. The last thing they want is two of me" I said.

He put his hands on my neck. He put the perfume he loved onto my neck.

"I'll go find something else to wear then" He said.

Through the mirror, I could see into the bedroom. The way he slipped his clothing off of his soft frame had me. I turned away in order to not get too close.

Zach had put the turkey into the oven a few hours before. He helped me cook because I didn't know how to. I baked a rose cherry pie, and mashed potatoes for the side. I didn't know what my parents were bringing. I told them not to bring what I was making. They probably had a maid who cooked it for them.

I stared at the oven. The way the warm light glazed the golden flesh of a bird that once lived. The way the lemon and rosemary decorated it. It was like a death; an open casket.

Zach put the champagne on ice, and decorated the table. I put down the plates and silverware in a ritualistic manner. I would have to be proper around my parents.

I had to hide the face that me and my babe fucked almost all the time. If they knew my father would have a heart attack, and my mother would probably choke on her food. I wanted the night to go well. I wanted Zach to remain untouched from any of the eyes or views of my parents. Even from their minds.

$$$

"Babe come here" I said as I sat on the sofa, waiting for him to put his head on my lap.

He didn't come. He just leaned against the wall and looked at me.

I loved it when he stared into my eyes.

"I don't wanna meet your folks" He said.

It didn't offend me. I always told of them. I always spoke of their coldness, and their restrictive ways.

"They're bitter" I said.

"Fall asleep next to me after they leave" He said as he walked back into the bedroom. I could smell his cologne on his wrist.

"There's nothing I'd like more."

He smirked.

"What? You know it's true. It's what I look forward too every night."

Zach changed out of the white shirt, back into the button up that he left unbuttoned, that almost fell off of his shoulders.

I played Angel Olsen on the sound system because the silence felt overpowering.

I danced by myself while Zach smoked on the couch. He stared at me the way every girl wanted to be stated at. The way his eyes fell up and down over like a spell. We had fun.

I heard the knock at the door. It wasn't a simple, gracious knock. It was my fathers hand. It was his knock at the door.

Hi. Sorry about the lack of updates. I have an ending, but it's sort of psychotic, and I'm afraid people will get scared of it. But besides that, last October was when I was supposed to see the boys live in LA for The Flood Tour, but those plans failed because of family problems. But I bought tickets in November for The Drought Tour because I didn't see them, so now I'm finally seeing them in Tempe and Santa Ana in February. I actually have something to look for. If anyone else has seen them live before, tell me about it xx