30.Megumi

We all talked about small things for a while until we noticed that Gojo was not back yet.

". . .Gojo sensei?"
Nobara looks at us.

"We don't know," I say. "He was going to bury his friend I think."

"As he should have done ages ago."
Sukuna never buttered up his words for anyone. It was pointless to expect him to act kindly towards anyone but me.

"Do you think he'll be fine?" Yuji, the one who was usually all positive and full of energy was the opposite today.

"We can't ask him to pretend to be fine. Give him some space he'll come back to annoy us sooner or later." Megumi was not the best at cheering anyone up but hearing that coming from his mouth, someone who is negative, blunt and acts like nothing ever hurts him most of the time, could even make even the saddest most miserable person feel a little better.

"Fushiguro's right. . . let's just wait for him." Nobara looks at her uniform all torn up, that was kept on the table beside her bed.

"I don't think I need this anymore." She reaches for it.

"Are you sure you don't wanna keep these as a souvenir?" I stop her before she could rip it." It's a part of your happy memories at Jujutsu high. Sure it may not have been the best high school experience but it's also a reminder of how you guys met and how far you've come. "

They all look at each other.

"We don't need it. All we need is each other Y/n." They burst into laugher.

"Eh?!" I slap the boy's shoulders.
"I was just trying to be considerate. She could regret it later who knows? Stop laughing!"

Even Sukuna joined them in making fun of me.

They moved away from me wailing in pain. Serves them right for laughing at me.

"You're so silly Y/n. I can see how you made this selfish bastard fall for you." Nobara laughed so much it seemed like her stitches would come undone.

"Ahh- Enough! I'm in no mood for stupid jokes this early in the morning and certainly not being made fun out of by you kids."
I stamp my feet on the floor with my heels creating a loud sound leaving cracks in the marble finally shutting them up.

We heard a knock on the door and Yuji opens the door. It was the doctor and his assistant nurse.

He looks at us surrounding the patient and tells us that she needs to rest so we should leave. And also that we should get some sleep. He did see us awake the whole night worrying over her.

"Let's go. Call us if you need anything okay Kugisaki?" Yuji gets up.

"Yeah, we'll be sitting outside." Megumi also follows.

"Go sleep! You stupid boys!" She turns to the other side throwing the blanket over herself asking them to kick us out and they do.

"You boys should get some rest-" I bump into what seemed like a wall but it was just Sukuna.

He didn't even move an inch he was looking out the window at something.

"Sukuna-?"

"That dumbass." He curses.

I look down the window and it was Gojo standing in the graveyard looking at his friend's body in an open casket.

"Gojo sensei?!-"
Yuji opens the window wider almost yelling his name when I stop him by placing my hand on his mouth. "Mhh-mmhh. . .Y/n??"

"Let him be. There's nothing we can say to him to make him feel any better right now. Let him mourn. . . .Properly this time."
Megumi knew the pain of not being able to mourn his loved one's death. His mother, his father and his sister.

Life was a cruel joke for these people until they met each other.

How do I know? I just do.

Everyone I know has been through their own hell to stand where they are right now. I have no right to interfere but leaving things as they are would not make anyone happy.

Yuji understood and shut up.

"Why don't you two get some sleep? Nobara is stable now and you guys haven't slept the entire night." I push them away from the window and lock it.

"But we still can't leave Gojo sensei out there like that. . . !"
Yuji still hadn't given up.

"I'll go get him. Is that okay?"
I look back it started to rain.

They both nodded and went to the front desk to ask if there were any empty beds.

"Look at them. If it weren't for you they all would've died or ended up going separate ways by now Y/n. And they don't even realise how much you've helped them." Sukuna looks at me leaning on his shoulder.

"It's hardly been two days since we came here and uprooted their whole world. Give them some time." I stop leaning and stand in front of him.

"Sometimes I wonder what do you even think of them as. Your kids? People, you need to protect so desperately that you're willing to come back to them no matter the dangers? Y/n that's just ridiculous you know they're going to die before we do right-"
I press my fingers on his lips.

"I know. That's not it. They're not my kids and I don't plan to treat them as my kids either. They're just. . .my friends."
It wasn't a lie. They were special to me.