Chapter 9: Background Story

-Greenie's P.O.V-

I woke up to the sound of... well I don't know really, but it was loud. I looked over to Alby and Y/n who were fast asleep.

I got up and walked out of the homestead and looked around.

Are those walls opening?

I run back to the homestead and jump on y/n to wake her up.

"HEY! HEY Y/N WAKE UP! SOMETHING IT IS HAPPENING!" I yelled in her ear.

"Wh-what? What do you want?" she said half asleep.

"Y/n I swear. Wake up don't you hear that? Hello?"

"GREENIE!" she yelled.

I jumped back, surprised from her sudden outburst. "What I'm just trying to tell you that something is happening outside!" I retorted whilst I got up to my feet.

The loud sound finally stopped, and I looked down at y/n who was giving me a death glare. "What?" I asked her taking a small step back.

I heard a groan coming from Alby. I looked over at him turning around to face both y/n and me. "Did you just ask her 'what' you did to piss her off?" he said to me. To which I just glared back at him waiting for him to continue.

"come with me. Y/n, you just go back to sleep. You look like you need it."

She just glared at Alby as he pulled me along with him out of homestead.

"You gonna explain to me what the bloody happened back there? What the hell was that big noise and why do you look like that's normal?"

"Cause, mate, it is" the older boy told me. "Happens every day at 6:30am and again at 6:30 pm. Did we not tell you that yesterday? Look." he told me pointing towards one of the four walls that surrounded us.

To my surprise there was a large gap in the middle of it. What the bloody hell is that? They told me about doors and mazes or something, but I didn't know they were serious.

"Is that the-"

"Maze?" he cut me off. "Yeah. I've only gone in there once with y/n but we never went in again."

"Why not? Don't you think there might be a way out of here. It might be through there." I said back to Alby.

"We- She..." he paused. "it doesn't matter Shank. Maybe one other day we could go in there. Just me and you and look but today, we teach you the ways to the Glade. Rule one: never wake y/n while she's sleeping. I'm gonna let this time slide because you didn't know but next time... I won't be there to protect your head from being ripped off." he chuckled. "So, just leave her to her sleep. Let her wake up on her own next time Shank."

"Alright. Any other rules I should know of? Before I accidentally break those too."

That comment made his laugh a little, but he just started walking off. I followed behind him and asked where we were going. He just replied with "breakfast" and kept walking.

We got to the kitchen, and he told me to sit at the table. I did as he said and waited as he went into a small room full of food.

He came back with an apple, an orange and four pieces of bread.

"Here ya go Greenie. Breakfast at the Glade." he said while placing half the food in front of me and the rest in front of him and started munching.

"As for the rules of this place, there are only three. The not-waking-up-y/n one was just an unspoken rule." he said with a small chuckle.

" First," he started. "do your part. No time for any freeloaders. Second, never harm another Glader. None of this works unless we have trust. And last but certainly not least, never go through those walls," he said pointing out towards the door. I knew what he meant though. The Maze doors. "You got that Greenie?" he asked.