Chapter 23: He's Gone

-Y/n P.O.V-

-That night, 5 mins until doors close-

I looked over to the doors from my position along the outer edge of the deadheads.

A large group of people, most of the Gladers, were standing in a semi-circle around the opening of the maze.

Soon I saw Minho coming from the "Slammers" as Minho called them.

He was holding tightly onto the wrists of the boy who broke me, Josh. His hands were tied behind his back like handcuffs made of rope, his face covered in a bag, I don't know why, theatrics?

Either way, he was being pushed forwards by the strong boy who was holding him, walking towards the crowd of people. The glade was silent, I reminded me of that first month up here in the Glade, when I was all alone with the wicked thoughts going through my mind.

When they got close enough to the doors, Minho pushed him into the middle of the half-circle, making said boy fall to his knees. He ripped the cloth off Josh's head and cut the rope off his wrists with a pocketknife he took out from his pocket.

The ruble of the doors cut off all remaining chatter from the boys, they all fell silent again waiting to see what would happen.

By now Minho had left the middle of the circle and had blended in with the other boys in the crowd. Once the door began to shut, I decided I could no-longer watch this go down.

I know I should be happy, now that he's gone, I can rest safe that he won't hurt me again, but I still don't believe that killing was the best thing we could have done.

I got up from my spot and walked over to homestead. I look back to all the boys, spotting Newt looking at me with a worried expression painted on his face. I shrug it off and head up to my small room.

One I get there, I take a seat on my bed, placing my head in my hand with my elbows resting on my thighs as support.

I can still hear the doors closing and yelling coming from a boy, the boy, Josh.

I feel a tear fall from my face as I hear him yell and scream for forgiveness, I shouldn't feel sorry for him, considering what he did to me, but I do anyways, why?

As I hear the last scream, I also hear the doors slam shut.

Silence.

All there is in silence, tears now rushing down my face in sadness but also in anger.

I fall so deep into my thoughts and don't even notice my door opening and closing again, what pulls me out of my thoughts is the weight shifting on my bed.

I look to my side to see a small skinny boy with blond hair sitting next to me. He has his hands in his lap, playing with his fingers nervously.

"How are you feeling" he says quietly, trying not to disturb the quiet in the room.

I shrug, not even knowing myself.

He nods and places a hand on my shoulder awkwardly.

"I think you should get some rest, yeah? You've had a long couple of weeks, you need to sleep." He says, placing his hand under my chin, holding in delicately with his fingers, pulling my face to look at him in the eyes.

I slightly got lost in them, the colour pulling me into a dream-like trance.

He wipes the fresh tears off my cheek and gets up from his seated position.

"Newt?" I ask in a quiet voice, knowing if I tried to speak any louder it would break and crack.

He only hummed in response.

"What happens now?" I ask, looking up at him.

"I don't know, but we will figure it out eventually, I promise. Okay?"

I nod my head, closing my eyes, letting another tear slip out.

"Do you need anything?" he asks, taking a step forwards, now standing a few steps in front of me.

I get and take a step forwards, I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my head in his chest. I don't know why I did it, I just needed to feel someone's arms around me, someone I trusted. Newt was the closest person.

When he didn't hug back, I let go and took a step back, wiping the tears off my face with my sleeve. "I'm sorry, I- I didn't m-" I didn't get to finish, feeling myself get pulled into his arms, one around my waist and one wrapping around my neck, his hand holding my head.

I sighed and wrapped both my arms around his waist again. letting out a shaky sigh of content, feeling safer in is arms.

"You don't have to say you're sorry y/n, if ever you need a hug, I'm always there." He held me tighter.

I let out a little chuckle, holding him tighter as well.

"Thanks" I mumble into his chest.

It was now his turn to chuckle, "Any time, y/n. Any time." He whispers, putting his chin on my head, resting it there.

We stay like that for a while, I almost start to fall asleep standing up.

He lays me down in my bed and lets go of me. He pulls the covers over my body and starts walking out.

I take his wrist in my grasp before he could get to far away.

"Wait." I said sleepily.

"Yeah?" Newt asks, turning around again to face me.

"Stay?" I spoke, it, coming out more as a question then an answer.

"Always." He whispers, sitting down in the chair next to mine, pulling it closer to the bed. He lays his head on my stomach and takes my hand in his.

My other hand goes to his hair as I push my hand trough it.

"Is this ok? I don't want you to be uncomfortable" he asks.

"It's perfect, Newt. Thank you." I reply, closing my eyes, drifting off to sleep.

I'm half asleep when I hear newt whisper "I think I love you, y/n." but I'm not awake enough to comprehend it.

I drift of to sleep, feeling the safeness of having Newt next to me.

-

-

-Kinda a rushed chapter, sorry if it's not great, it is a bit shorter then normal, sorry guys

-School is taking over my life at the moment so there might not be a new chapter for a few weeks, I'm sincerely sorry to my 2 readers that acctually like this book:')

-im very sorry again, love you all so much!

-Good morning/ Goodnight