09

LOVE IS A POWERFUL THING. It can create, it can destroy, and it can cause strife. Love can make people crazy and obsessive, but it can also make people depressed and lonely.

"John, stop it!" Emma shouted.

"We are married," John argued, holding her arms. "It's been four years, Em. We have martial duties."

"We have one child already," said Emma, pushing his hands off her.

"You have one child," said John. "Our family wants a child of our own."

"So we're supposed to follow their orders?" Emma questioned with disbelief.

"Yes!" John said and let out a breath of air. "I am your husband. Mind as well start acting more like it. The first step, a child of our own. It seals the deal. I heard a child - a baby - brings joy to couples."

Emma turned away, shaking her head. She put her hands on the chair and said, "You want this to happen for your reputation."

"No - what?!" he exclaimed.

"The town is speaking," said Emma furiously as she turned to him. "I'm not deaf! They mock you for not having... "

John approached and grabbed her forearm tightly and shouted, "Don't!" He stared at her and his other hand brushed a few strands of hair behind her ear, then his hands traveled down her body and grasped her breast.

"John, you can't do this to me," Emma said in a pleading tone as she tried to pull away.

"Don't fight it," John said in a husky voice. "You've done it before. It won't hurt."

John had trapped her and undid her top to reveal her corset. Emma let out a moan, then kneed John between his legs. He stumbled back and Emma left, buttoning her top.

~

"Thank you for letting us use your kitchen, Mrs. Turner," Diana smiled as Emma came into the kitchen.

"Oh, of course," Emma smiled. "I'll be out in town to drop off a few things." She looked at the ingredients of food on the table. "Please clean after yourself."

"Bye, Mother, thank you," Katherine smiled as her mother hugged her from behind.

"Your mother is actually nice," said Anne after she left. "I thought she was as strict as Mrs. Barry."

"Well, had you not saved us at the fire, I'm sure she would have refused we spoke," said Katherine. "Besides, my stepfather was a friend of Mr. Blythe's so I guess I'm also doing it on his behalf."

"If a key to a man's heart is through his stomach," Ruby began.

"Which it is," the cleaning maid said.

"... then we have to make sure that this is the best shepherd's pie that Gilbert has ever tasted."

"Being a good cook shouldn't be on the list of romantic attributes if you ask me," said Anne, bringing a bowl of ingredients she was washing. "If one was interested in romance, which I'm not, I'd like to be noticed for me, not my dinner."

Diana and Ruby giggled.

"You're so funny, Anne," said Diana.

"I wasn't meaning to be funny," Anne told her.

"Oh... so what's on the list?" Diana asked.