16

KATHERINE SAW THOMAS IN A NEW LIGHT. Many people in Avonlea searched for whoever wrote the piece about the false gold. To their knowledge, only Katherine, Thomas, and of course, the publisher of the newspaper knew who wrote it. The two best friends enjoyed seeing the others talk about it. Anne had an inkling, seeing how whenever they talked about it, they hid their smiles and proud expressions.

When Katherine read the story, she was amazed by it. It seemed as though they found Thomas promising as he was offered to write the story of capturing the criminals and the aftermath. That had meant he had to interview those who had spent their money. And Katherine had heard an earful about Mr. Barry from Thomas as he stubbornly refused to speak about the subject.

When the story had come out, more of the town were interested, especially Mrs. Lynde. She had spread her theories throughout the town. She believed it to be a promising young man. Knowing the Flints and of Thomas's admiration and aspiration for literature and writing, she had gone knocking on their door.

For a reason Katherine did not understand, Thomas kept his identity a secret. He went under a pen name - Swan. Thomas had wanted to tell the whole of Prince Edward Island that it was him who wrote the piece, but he didn't want to be revealed yet.

Katherine had visited Green Gables with her other friends for a get-together which was much needed. She had spent most of her days after school with Thomas and though she enjoyed being in the company of him, his annoying remarks would be the death of her.

"Ruby, this is serious," said Anne. "We're supposed to be studying each other's lips. I think yours are delicate and inviting."

"Really?" Ruby giggled, flattered.

"And Tillie's are soft even to the eye," Anne added, beginning to compliment the girls. "Jane's are shaped like a rosebud that's beginning to bloom. Diana, you without a doubt have the best, most kissable Cupid's bow. The brightest smile to light any heart. And Katherine, your lips are a beautiful luscious pink. I'm sure anyone would be enticed by them. Mine are awful. Like the fat caterpillars that live in our old willow tree."

"They do look a bit swollen," Jane pointed out.

"It's my own fault," Anne said. "I have a terrible habit of chewing on my bottom lip when I'm thinking. The trouble is that I'm always thinking. Are they unpleasant to look at?"

"They are perfectly pink and luscious," Diana assured, patting her friend's shoulder.

"Do you think that Prissy and Mr. Phillips have kissed?" Ruby asked with a growing smile.

"Not yet," Jane replied and giggled. "But soon, I imagine. Prissy's studying for her Queen's Academy entrance exams and sometimes Mr. Phillips stops by our house to give her extra help."

"Prissy is only two years older than us," said Tillie, and Katherine sensed some envy coming off from her.

"I mean to have an official beau by the time I'm fifteen," Ruby said. "I hope Gilbert will be back by then."

Diana gave a side glance at Katherine, who hadn't seen her stare. Apart from Thomas, Diana knew her brunette friend had a small crush on Gilbert Blythe - the boy of everyone's dreams. Katherine never spoke about him to her too often, especially since he left, so Diana didn't know exactly where she stood. Her confusion doubled when she would see Thomas with her. Diana had to admit; Katherine looked good with both boys.

"You think of nothing but beaus, Ruby," Anne commented with a small laugh.

"Well, what's wrong with that?" she asked, bemused.

"I've never even seen a real kiss before," Tillie spoke. "My parents don't go in for that kind of thing."

"I once overheard Mrs. Lynde and her husband share a kiss," Jane said through fits of laughter. "It sounded like a cow dragging its hind hoof out of a swamp."