Operation: Union Jack

Disclaimer: This is by the awesome @classicnewt. Go follow them on Tumblr!

>>>

How's my favorite British person doing today?" Minho asked after coming back from the Maze.

"I'm doing great, thanks," Newt deadpanned.

"I wasn't talking to you, shuckface."
I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. I'm doing great as well," I replied.

Minho snickered and winked at me as he began to walk away, probably going to find Thomas or Frypan. Newt sighed and I turned my attention back to braiding my hair.

"Why the bloody hell am I friends with him?" Newt asked, out of the blue.
"Beats me. I ask myself the same thing, too," I joked. It was silent after that. Not like the comfortable silence that Newt and I normally shared when we were together, but the kind where you can tell something is wrong. Something was off. "Something wrong?"

Newt looked at me, eyebrows furrowed. He kept playing with his hands. "I don't know, (y/n)..."

"What is it?" I asked, now worried. I placed my hand on his shoulder. "You know you can tell me anything." Newt looked away. He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out. His eyes kept avoiding me. "Newt... What's wrong?"

"I'm breaking up with you," he blurted out.

"W-what?"

He closed his eyes and sighed before looking at me. "I'm sorry. I really am. But I think we need to break up."

His face was expressionless. I couldn't tell if he was hiding his pain really well or if he wasn't really sorry at all for this. I struggled to hold back my tears. I was completely stunned. I hadn't expected this it all and it seemed he was happy being with me this morning. It took me a lot of effort to reply.

"Why?" I managed to choke out.
It was only this morning that Frypan had come up to me and told me how cute of a couple Newt and I were. The Gladers around us agreed and reasoned that our accents were cute whenever we spoke so it would only make sense for us to be together. I remember laughing at such a silly reason but now...

"Why? I don't know, (y/n). I think you'd be better off with someone else in the Glade besides me," Newt replied.
"What? Is this about Minho? Is that why?"

"No! Well, sort of. Not him exclusively," Newt mumbled. "That's beside the point! I just think you would be happier with someone else, alright?"
By now, Newt was clearly upset. A mix of sadness and frustration on his face. He stood up and walked away before I could reply and I was left by myself, finally letting the tears fall.

~~~

It was only fifteen minutes later when Thomas walked into my room and saw me crying on my bed. He instantly ran out when he saw my distress only to come back less than three minutes later with Minho at his side.

"What the shuck happened?!" They both asked me, immediately sitting down on either side of me.

I wiped the tears off my face. "Newt... H-he... He broke up with me."

It took a few moments for the two boys to process this news.

"What? You two were amazing together! Everyone thought you two belonged together!" Thomas exclaimed.

"Yeah, well I guess everyone was wrong," I snapped.

"I'm gonna kill that stupid slinthead. Did he tell you why?" Minho asked.

I shook my head. "Not really. Just said that I would be happier with someone else. I think he was jealous... Of you."
Minho raised his eyebrows. "I mean, I know I'm good looking and all-" Thomas reached over and slapped the back of his head. "Ow! But anyway, I don't have feelings like that for you. And obviously you don't like me like that."