Chapter 32 - Truthful Answers

-Mia-

I was waiting at the police station. Vicky had to go to pick the kids up from school, I promised I would call her once i knew something. Hours went by, a couple of officers brought some food and drink in, doing that time but when the door opened this time. David came in, he was cleaned up now with a few cuts and bruises from his attack by Aikens' men.

"David."  I launched to give him a hug, which he returned.

"You're okay." he muttered into my shoulder.

"Shouldn't I be saying that to you." I replied.

"It was Craddock." he pulled away "This whole time, it was her." his voice broke as the feeling of betrayal was evident.

"David, I'm so sorry."

"I trusted her."

"I know. I Know." I gave him another hug. He pulled away and cleared his throat.

"I've asked if you can all watch the interview with her, I think you need to see this." I nodded and he took my hand and led me out and into another room. He rested against the table and slid his arms around my waist as mine went around his neck. We waited, on the screen Craddock and her solicitor were already there. Rayburn came in. I still didn't like her but as long as she wasn't bulshitting, I wouldn't say anything.

"We got the prints back on the blank rounds. The match known associates of Luke Aikens." she told him.

"Why didn't they, just steal your gun?" She wondered

"Straight away, I'd have known, they'd been in my flat. They were trying to frame me. Suppose they couldn't take the chance on leaving me with live rounds." we heard radio chatter coming from the officer standing outside.

"Cheers." she dismissed him and closed the door. She then held out her hand.

"Great work mate." He let go and so did i so he could stand and shake her hand.

"SO15 recorded interview with chief superintendent Loraine Craddock by DCI Sharma." I heard Sharma's voice, I pulled up a chair and sat down to watch. David and Rayburn grabbed chairs too.

"Describe the nature of your relationship with Luke Aikens." Sharma began, she cleared her throat.

"For some years i've disclosed sensitive information on police operations that might threaten his criminal activities."

"What information did you disclose regarding the home secretary and her daughter Mrs Montague Jones?" he questioned

"The itinerary the day of Thornton Circus attempt on their life. The Home secretary was supposed to be in the car as well, but she wasn't."

"How did Mr Aikens react to this."

"He didn't seem overly bothered, from what he implied he thought it was just as good as an attack on the home secretary herself, more so that her daughter was in danger."

"Did he pass this information to Apsted?"

"Luke recruited Apsted. He armed him and used one of his captive business' to enable Apsted to access Pascoe House as a tradesman." I bit my nails as I heard how it unfolded

"And the St Matthews attack that resulted in the Home Secretary's death?", tears started form. David grabbed my free hand and squeezed it. Craddock began to cry

"Her itinerary, her security plans and procedures. Luke was able to plan steps to overcome them all." she revealed

"What motivated Aikens to induce you to disclose this information?" Sharma asked