Jungle

Dani

I hopped off my stool and threw back the rest of my lemonade.

As I walked from the bar I heard the bar mumble something along the lines of "I believe in her" .

Maybe I was tripping.

I walked back over to Trinity to see her about to stand up.

"Ms girl I was about to come look for you!", she said sitting back down.

"My bad I met someone", I chuckled.

"Who? lemme find out you being a city girl", she said sticking her tongue out.

I ignored her and told her what I was going to do.

"You lying", she deadpanned.

"No I'm not I'm doing it right now", I huffed in frustration.

"Okay girl Ima watch and support you but you better not bitch out and embarrass me or else ima leave you here", she teased.

I laughed and stood up to walk over to the guy hosting. There was an act about to get off the stage so I had to secure a spot before someone else did.

"Excuse me I'd like to get on next", I asked while politely tapping the guy.

He looked me up and down and nodded, "fine but your the last act so make it count", he agreed.

I shook my head and stepped back to wait for the act to finish.

My palms started sweating and I started shaking a little realizing what I was about to do.

What if I embarrassed my self? what if I didn't even sing the right note? or worse, I end up stuttering like the other guy.

I felt an anxiety attack but I didn't want to walk away. So I did the next bed thing.

I called Chris.

The phone rung a few times before he answered.

"Dani? I am so fucking-"

"I don't c-care j-just like t-talk to me or s-something", I managed to get out.

"Are you okay? Do I need to come get you?", he asked worriedly.

"No", I accidentally shouted.

The host eyed me and I mumbled a sorry.

"What's going on?", he repeated.

"My anxiety-"

"Shh you don't have to say more", he said cutting me off.

It was silent before he spoke again, "What do you call fried chicken?.

"Uhh.. Fried?", I guessed sheepishly.

"No dummy, dead.", he corrected.

I couldn't help but burst out laughing at his stupid joke.

"Chris obviously it's dead", I pointed out when I stopped laughing.

"Yea but the irony is supposed to make it funny cause you already knew it was dead", he said trying to explain.

I laughed again and tried to speak again but the host cut me off.

"It's your turn now".

I nodded getting ready to hang up, "Chris I have to go".

"Wait why-"

"I'll tell you later, thank you bye", I said rushing him off the phone.

He called me back but I put it on so not disturb so he wouldn't disrupt me while i'm on stage.