16. The Questionable Answer

The Questionable Answer:
_______________
❣︎❣︎❣︎𝐾𝑖𝑎𝑟𝑎'𝑠 𝑃𝑂𝑉❣︎❣︎❣︎

Luminous sunlight transmits heat to my face and uncovered skin, coating its gentle kisses against the icy surface as it penetrates my squinted eyes. The smell of wet moisture in the air mixes with the warm midsummer breeze, pushing my brown locks back into the wind. I look over at the steady water in front of The Chateau, studying its silence as it moves slowly into the marsh. Overgrown grass covers the path to the little bridge, swaying by the movement of the wind as if they were dancing to nature's melody.

Santana shuts the door behind us and puts on a concerning look in my direction. I steer away from her gaze, staring blankly at the grassy front lawn. I crossed my arms to my stomach as we both walked towards the bridge. Sarah and John B sat next to Big John, dangling their feet above the sparkling water whereas Pope stopped halfway and laid his back at the railing of the bridge, seeming like he's waiting for something.

Walking towards the bridge, Santana tugs on my arm, holding me back from my pace. "Hey, chica you ok?" She asks quietly, walking in front of me to try and force eye contact. A heated, aggravated void fills up my chest, eating up the energy I need for a conversation. I stare down at the wooden path, feeling some heaviness settling down on my shoulders. I'm guessing she took my silence as an answer to her question because I felt her hand on my back, rubbing it in circles.

No, I'm not ok. Is that selfish of me to not feel ok?

All I wanted was to aid Mer with her nasty wound, and all of a sudden, JJ storms in and guards her against me? Pushing me to the side with this heightened priority to help her? Or saying that they're closer with each other than any of us with Meredith. I mean, how close can they be? We all met her two nights ago, so how could anyone be that close to anyone in a matter of hours? Not to mention that Mer said that she and JJ were "besties". What the hell does that even mean?

What does any of this mean? There's no way they're both macking...right?

No, Mer doesn't look like that type of girl jumping into bed with JJ that quickly. By the looks of what happened last night, Mer seems to be the kind of girl to stand her ground, no matter how skeptical she is with herself.

Yeah, I've noticed that.

Speaking of which, the confusing fight between Mer and Topper kept replaying in my mind. What did she mean by it was his fault that everyone's calling her a slut or a whore? Or how her parents disown her because of whatever he did to her? I didn't want to be nosy, and I could understand if Mer didn't want to share her past with Topper, but I couldn't deny that it was tempting to find out.

Santana's hand slides up to my shoulder and grabs a hold of it, "Do you want to talk about it?" Her voice was smooth and soft as flower petals in spring, but the intriguing questions were bouncing off from the top of my head, crumbling her question up as soon as it entered into my ears.

Instead, I asked her a question. "Don't you think it's a little weird how JJ is suddenly protective of Mer? And not to point out how weirdly close they are?" I look up from the ground and into Santana's brown stare, "Like...are they hooking up or something? Or am I overthinking the whole thing?"

Her breath shuddered and a wry smile appeared, "Um..."

I scoff, rising my fingertips to my temples, "Like, all I wanted was to help Mer since I know how to provide care for someone, I mean I do it all the time but-, " Inhaling a breath to calm my nerves, disbelieving, vexed laugh parts from my mouth, "God, and yet JJ says I'm becoming overly dramatic over a simple scrape when he's over here pushing me away from her. Like, I'm sorry that it's my instinct to assist people in need! Don't judge me from that!"