Chapter 11

(Y/n) sat in the boat with Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn, feeling the animosity that Boromir had for the ranger. She knew that no matter what she said to either of them, that they would both distrust the other. Every now and then, she would look back to see Boromir giving Aragorn a distasteful look.

"(Y/n), Frodo." Aragorn called their attention softly. She turned her head to look at him, and he gestured up to something in front of them. "The Argonath." Looking forward, she saw two large stone statues of kings, both with their left hands out, guarding the Anduin. One held a sword, the other had its hand on the mountain beside it. She gasped in awe of the great forms. "Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old, my kin."

Soon, they came to the end of the river where it dropped off into a great waterfall. They docked the boats on a nearby shore. She looked to Boromir, and saw him in struggle, leaning his hands against the sides of the boat, almost in pain. She worried for her friend, scared that the power of the One Ring was becoming too much for him.

A fire was started in the center of their group as Aragorn spoke of what remained of their journey. "We cross the lake at nightfall, hide the boats, and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the North."

"Oh, yes?" Gimli voiced. "Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks? And after that, it gets even better!" Pippin, who was eating, again, widened his eyes. "Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see."

"That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." Aragorn said.

Gimli looked at him shocked. "Recover my-" he started, but cut himself off. He grumbled in annoyance.

(Y/n) was hardly listening. Both she and Legolas felt something was wrong, and looked into the woods. Something was evading her senses, not letting her see. Her eyes glowed red as she struggled to catch sight of anything. Something was there, she knew it, but it was just out of her sight.

"We should leave now." Legolas said to Aragorn.

"No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Aragorn dismissed.

"It is not the eastern shore that worries me." Legolas said, glancing back to the woods, then to (Y/n) who had not moved. "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it."

"(Y/n)?" Aragorn called, but she did not turn. She was focused on something, her eyes closed.

"Where's Frodo?" Merry asked, looking around. (Y/n)'s eyes snapped open, realizing what was wrong.

"Boromir." she whispered. She looked to where his shield and pack lay, but he was not there. "Where is Boromir?" she asked louder, worry evident in her eyes.

"Don't worry. We'll find them." Aragorn tried soothing, but to no avail. The darkness surrounding the Ring had been growing in Boromir's mind, but she was too blind to see it. She cursed herself for not doing something sooner. "Split up and look!"

(Y/n) followed her senses, feeling the anger in the air grow. Whispers voiced around her, coming from the Ring, tempting someone. Boromir. She broke into a run through the woods, her face crashing through the branches around her as she searched for her like-brother. She stopped, closed her eyes, and concentrated, knowing that her panic would overcome the senses she was trying to pick up. It was the first thing Gandalf taught her.

"Where are you, brother?" she whispered. She couldn't lose another brother. She just couldn't. Hearing a shout, she ran in the direction it came.

"You will take the Ring to Sauron!" she heard Boromir shout. "You will betray us! You go to your death and the death of us all! Curse you! Curse you! And all the halflings!"