Chapter 14

Aragorn could hardly look (Y/n) in the eye the next day, making her wonder what he and Gandalf had talked about the night before. She fell asleep, finally, before she could hear anything about their conversation. Even as they road to Edoras, he remained silent and focused on the trail ahead of them. It made her worried.

Their horses slowed as they saw the small city before them, the settlement laying on top of a steep hill, King Théoden's home on the top-most peak with small houses dotting the land as it came down to the edge of the wall surrounding it.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld." Gandalf said as they gazed at the town. "There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, who's mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. (Y/n), I recommend you remove your crown, for Edoras as of now is not safe to shine such a thing of power." She nodded and took off the circlet Galadriel gave her, placing it in her beg that hung from her shoulder town to her hip. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."

They rode to the edge of the gate, which was open for them. The flag of Rohan, ripped from it's post, landed next to Arod, making Aragorn and (Y/n) look down at it. The horse symbol showed bright against the green of the flag.

Entering the settlement, they looked around at the people, seeing them all dressed in dark clothing, giving the five of them all suspicious looks as they passed through. Aragorn looked up towards the castle to see a woman standing in a white dress, watching them. His gaze dropped for only a moment, and when it returned, she was gone.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli muttered, his eyes raking over the solemn faces of the people.

When they got off their horses, they approched the door to the castle, and were met with the guard. Gandalf began to lean against his staff more heavily as the captain of the king's guard, Háma, approached them.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of... Grima Wormtounge." Háma said, distaste in his voice at the mention of the man's name.

Gandalf nodded to the others, who began to remove their many weapons. (Y/n) took off her short sword and handed it to the guards, followed by her bow and arrows, which she almost didn't hand over due to their magical nature. Legolas handed over his two knives while Gimli begrudgingly gave the guards his axe. Aragorn gave his sword and the dagger Celeborn gave him.

"Your staff." Háma asked for it, and Gandalf gave an innocent face.

"Hm? Oh. You would not part an old man from his walking stick." he said, leaning heavily against it as if he were truly a weak old man, and not one of the Istari. Reluctantly, Háma allowed for Gandalf to enter with his staff, the wizard winking slightly before offering his arm to (Y/n) to make it seem like he needed to help.

Once inside, they saw the hall to be dark and gloomy. Ahead, in the throne, sat King Théoden, although he is nothing like what (Y/n) thought he would look. He seemed to be well over one hundred, with stringy white hair and pale, flaking skin behind his even whiter beard. His once blue eyes were clouded over, nearly white. Beside him sat a dark and greasy man, who whispered something in the king's ear as they entered. Around them, the men followed their steps, watching them closely.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King." Gandalf loudly exclaimed, his voice echoing in the darkness. He had removed his arm from his apprentices, and began walking on his own towards the throne.

"Why... should I welcome you... Gandalf... Stormcrow?" Théoden asked weakly, and (Y/n) could easily sense the hold that Saruman had over him, toying with his mind.