Chapter 18

(Y/n) followed the men to the armory where the soldiers were passing out swords, axes, arrows, and spears to the villagers. She now had her crown on, and looked through the weapons before her. They were not the best, having been here for so long. She saw Aragorn looking over a sword with a chipped blade. Luckily, she still had her blade and arrows, the tips of the arrows glowing red.

"What is a woman doing in here?" she heard one of the soldiers whisper.

"I don't know. Maybe she got lost on her way to the caves. I mean, what could a woman do in a war?" she heard the other one say, trying less to hide his disgust and his accusation.

(Y/n) whipped around in anger, her hand gripping her sword. She didn't even realize her eyes her beginning to turn their glowing crimson. "This woman will cut your tongue from behind your teeth if you speak but another word."

They slightly cowered under her gaze, but when Aragorn grabbed hold of her arm, she turned to meet his stern eyes. "Calm down." he told her, and her eyes faded. The grip on her sword lightened, and so did his grip on her arm, although he did not let go. He gave a distasteful look towards the two soldiers before pulling her towards Legolas and Gimli.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys." Aragorn said as he looked over their army. "These are no soldiers."

"Most have seen too many winters." Gimli said as he looked at the old men.

"Or too few." (Y/n) said as she looked upon a young boy who was just handed a sword, and looked at it in fear.

"Look at them." Legolas said, watching the villagers. "They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes." Those around him looked to him, and he began speaking in elvish."Boe a hyn neled herain... dan caer menig!" (And they should be. Three hundred... against ten thousand!)

Aragorn spoke back in elvish, the men around them not understanding. "Si beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras." (They have a better chance defending themselves here than in Edoras.)

"Aragorn, men i ndagor. Hýn ú ortheri. Natha daged aen!" (They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)

"Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn shouted, losing his temper. (Y/n) put a hand to his shoulder, holding him back from Legolas, who looked on with slight regret. Aragorn sighed, and walked out of the room, (Y/n)'s hand slipping from him. Legolas went to follow, but Gimli stopped him.

"Let him go, lad. Let him be." he said.

(Y/n) took to helping the villagers sharped their weapons and prepare for the battle. While gathering arrows, she saw a helmet being placed upon a young boy, his eyes terrified, while another one was given an axe, hesitant to take it. She sighed, and handed a spear to one of the soldiers, and she could hear his thoughts, loud as a battle cry.

We'll never make it. There is no hope. If only I was given more time with my wife and daughter to say goodbye.

That was what she had been hearing throughout the day. The men say there is no way to survive such a battle. But (Y/n) would be damned if Rohan fell on her watch. She saw Aragorn come back in, a new determination in his eyes. She smiled lightly, and watched as he gathered chainmail from the racks and put it on, reattaching his weapons. Legolas handed him his sword, and Aragorn took it, nodding his thanks. Legolas spoke with regret at his loss of hope.

"We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair."

"Ú-moe edamed, Legolas." Aragorn said, clasping his hand around Legolas's arm. (There is nothing to forgive, Legolas.)